..

Saturday 12 August 2017

What is the...

point of coasters
I idly wonder?
Does anyone use them?
Over the years I have been given so many
from funny ones with comical sheep on, 
flash fancy silverplated, raffia, 
even slices of dried pineapple.
Without a qualm they all get taken to the nearest charity shop.
And still they come...
friends trying to tell me something 
I suspect?

***

It used to be a joke in the family that 
Auntie Margarine wherever she went used to always buy tea towels as gifts.  I have always poured scorn on such unimaginative presents...until now, 
the onset of official old age has brought about a change.
My heart lifts as I open the cupboard and see neat piles of folded tea towels from John o'
Groats to Lands End.  The potted history of a not forgotten Edwardian Aunt.

What exactly is it about old ladies and piles of linen I wonder?
Any ideas? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...