..

Saturday, 12 August 2017

What is the...

point of coasters
I idly wonder?
Does anyone use them?
Over the years I have been given so many
from funny ones with comical sheep on, 
flash fancy silverplated, raffia, 
even slices of dried pineapple.
Without a qualm they all get taken to the nearest charity shop.
And still they come...
friends trying to tell me something 
I suspect?

***

It used to be a joke in the family that 
Auntie Margarine wherever she went used to always buy tea towels as gifts.  I have always poured scorn on such unimaginative presents...until now, 
the onset of official old age has brought about a change.
My heart lifts as I open the cupboard and see neat piles of folded tea towels from John o'
Groats to Lands End.  The potted history of a not forgotten Edwardian Aunt.

What exactly is it about old ladies and piles of linen I wonder?
Any ideas? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking the spent...

flowers of the Morning Glory, all is quiet in the early morning sun. An enjoyable first task of the day.  My thoughts are given free rein ...