..

Friday 28 August 2020

Breaking news...

after all these years I have made a major discovery...
I am most definitely not an origami type person.  I can and have over the years turned my hands to lots of crafts with good results.  Okay my style does tend to be roughty-toughty, no counted cross stitch here!
Having made sewn birthday cards this year I thought for my granddaughter’s card I would make an origami scorpion for hers.
Well you wouldn’t believe the fiddling?  My first problem was to get the paper accurately cut to size... easy!  Even with a set square and craft knife, I couldn’t  do it.  So I delegated!  
Yesterday afternoon found me sat at the kitchen table following closely the youtube and photographic instructions.  I fiddled and faddled and could I do it?  Oh dear me no!  With my patience worn thin I decided that maybe a sewn scorpion might be better after all?  Back to the drawing board.  I’m a free spirit not a precision personage.  Closely following rules has never been my bag... surprised?  No I didn’t think you would be!
£££
‘Have you still got your ten pound note buttonhole?’  I asked himself just now as we sat up in bed drinking our tea.
Ooh tricky question here T he thought as he carefully answered 
‘No!’
‘Did you spend it like the rest of our guests?’
‘Err... I must have done, as I don’t know where it is!’
The water he felt was getting deeper!?!
The question hung in the air.
I ought to explain, twelve years ago we got married on the London Eye.  We thought it a good idea as we were both recycled!
My bright idea was to have buttonholes made out of ten pound notes, in origami.  Before you think I am crackers and rich, we only had seven guests, so not a huge outlay and in the spirit of the occasion... fun!
I found on the internet a lady who  agreed to make them for me.
She made a superb job from very crisp newly minted notes.
My asking himself about whether he still had his was in order for me to take a photograph.
I did understand: as the water receded from around his feet... husband lives to fight another day!

Ted with his tenner on the London Eye just about to be wed!


Me, as requested.

25 comments:

  1. Ted looks very chuffed to soon be Mr. Lettice..he also looks a lot like my brother-in-law, my husbands twin!
    The £10 flower looks lovely.
    I bet that lady isn't making buttonholes out of the new ghastly plastic notes.......they don't behave like the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a first for her when I asked her if she could do it! She more than rose to the challenge. A good point you make about the new tenners.

      LX

      Delete
  2. Like you I can turn my hand to many crafts but origami has me stumped as well. I don't like this as I like to think I can do most things but will not lose sleep over it. I love the £10 not flowers, most unusual.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid I don’t have an eye for the minutiae of precise crafting work. Like you I have put my hands up and moved on, not losing a wink! The buttonhole flowers were well received especially by my two grandchildren.

      LX

      Delete
  3. Hi, this is Manisha, I really want to say sincerely that this is amazing material that you have shared. thanks for this. it's really very helpful for me.

    Live Current Affairs
    Live Sarkari Naukri
    How to get a Government Job easily
    Facebook Video Download Online

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea that was. Like you origami and I do not get on together. I do loads of crafting but origami and whats that other one where you wind paper round and round - can't think, anyway, those, I cannot get to grips with, nor do I wish to! Hubby on the other hand is a dab hand at making swans with moving wings from an After Eight wrapper!! I'm not asking why on earth a scorpion!! lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Quilling I would really get my knickers in a twist over!

      MG... I knew that mere broth if a boy had hidden talents!?!

      Scorpio... star sign.

      LX

      Delete
    2. Oh that's right Sue, so it is! Scorpio was way too subtle for me but good idea! x

      Delete
    3. You both looked lovely on your day! Very happy. I hope that remains the case!! xx

      Delete
  5. Amazing what some people can do with a square piece of paper! But not me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is what is sadly lacking in my life, hence no counted cross stitch, which I remember you have been busy with during lockdown. Good job we are all so very different...

      LX

      Delete
  6. He looks just like my next-door-neighbour David. I am afraid I don't understand the significance of the £10 notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lettice, why are you calling a money flower a buttonhole???
    I'm glad you showed a picture, otherwise I would never figured out what you where talking about.
    I'm not good at paper crafts either, love working with fabric, it is easier to manipulate!
    Good luck with your project....Pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttonhole = corsage, one and the same.

      The scorpion I am just thinking through how to make, at least the origami instructions have given me an idea of the shape.

      LX

      Delete
  8. P.S. Where did you find that great looking specimen of a men? He looks kind and gentle and most likely spoils you rotten. Hold on tight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a totally brilliant but whacky idea, to have buttonholes made from tenners! Love that idea. I don't like huge great buttonholes (or to be correct, buttonierres) for men, and sometimes with vile fern at the back or silver paper covering the stems. I love a small flower, such as a cornflower, in a lapel, that looks so much more elegant. Your husband looks really elegant, ready for the marriage ceremony. You should include your own photo of that day, please!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thinking was having them made would cost added to which like you I think they are really naff. I am with you about a small single flower, so much more refined!

      I will add my photo at the bottom of the page.

      LX

      Delete
  10. PS Life's too darned short for all this crafty-stuff, I think. Much of the stuff serves no particular purpose, it's being done for the sake of being done, I feel. Maybe I feel like this as I'm totally useless at making things (except making a mess). Reading is my thing. As for origami, no way, Jose!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crafting is like reading in my world I have to be in the mood for it. At the moment I am reading a good book which I don’t want to end... The Luminaires. Do you ever feel like that?

      LX

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hmm... I’ve had to look this one up and I don’t get it... a problem with your tendon in your finger? Something got lost in the translation Joanne. That’s what Himself and I always used to say when abroad ordering food and something totally unexpected arrived!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...