..

Wednesday 28 July 2021

Two bluebottles were ganging…

up on him. The squeaks even I could hear.

Ellie alerted me to our latest visitor to the Wrenery.  I heard a scuffle and thought the frog that had the audacity to sit in her water bowl was back.  I couldn’t see anything so with my alter ego Insp. Clouseau found hiding in the closet(where else would you expect?)I decided with magnifying glass clapped in my left hand to go investigate.  All I can say at this juncture is… a ruddy good job I had this excellent additional appendage to the fore.  After tiptoeing around, not easy for a fat lass in a trench coat sort of macintosh.  I spied through a glass darkly a teensy-weensy little ball of fluff, making the most awful racket and for one so petite, who would have thought it?  The bluebottles were closing in for the kill, pretty much like billionaires with not much else to do having got bored with counting their squillons, going on safari to shoot the hell out of a brace of rhinos’ssss, an odd giraffe and rounding off with a lion for good measure.  That sort of behaviour.  Well, I don’t mind telling you the field vole who had purely by chance got lost finding himself in the barren plains of the wrenery and weak with lack of seeds, roots and other nourishment of the field vole kind was in a very sad state.  Until that is Lettice Leaf and sidekick Hubs rode to the rescue.  The poor wee mite was rescued and promptly captured (too weak to run) and taken across the road to the sunny uplands of the the allotomentoes.  Where seeds a plenty awaited the 50p piece size tiny muchly weakened beastie. 

Not the man in question sadly.

18 comments:

  1. Good for you! When we lived in our Garn Dolbenmaen smallholding evicting voles and shrews was a regular occurrence!!
    4 free-range offspring were not into keeping the front door shut!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, it does seem odd to feel a blog post coming on. So many things bloggable have happened in the interval, that sadly I didn’t have the pizzazz to write about. Covid life is brightening…

      LX

      Delete
  3. Yes, welcome back, and good for you for rescuing the mite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to be done especially as I was the villain of the peace by cutting back the wildflower meadow bit of the garden. Boy did I feel guilty. I have even woken up this morning feeling a complete heel. Seeing the bluebottles thinking a good subject to lay our eyes on wasn’t one of life’s happy sights I don’t mind telling you!

      LX

      Delete
  4. Nice to see you back. I hope your little furry friend doesn't go and eat all your produce at the allotment now!! It's frogs I'm losing at a rate of knots at the moment! So far I've found two poor souls in the garden and as I usually only see 5 live ones in any one year I wait with bated breath to see if the others have survived whatever is after them. Good sleuthing and happy blogging to you.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had three voles turn up, and this morning a frog in our water feature struggling to get out. Just a simple matter of increasing the water level and he was away. Good to chat. all good in MG’s world?

      LX

      Delete
    2. All good thanks. I'm waiting patiently for one of your poppies to open up. My fingers and toes are crossed for a red one! I found it just the other day in a little patch I'd forgotten I'd planted up with some of your seeds. The other patch was yellow but I have high hopes for this one! x

      Delete
    3. Well, would you believe it - it's a red poppy!! Just the one but I love it!! Thankyou! x

      Delete
  5. Just harvesting the seed heads now so say the word lassie. Poppies of every colour and hue could be in their way as we speak…

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you don't mind, I'd love some more. My neighbour is now very jealous too, he too only has yellow ones - it's very strange! I told him I'd try to collect the seed from the one poppy! He's on tenderhooks now lol. x

      Delete
    2. Will do! Neighbour too.

      LX

      Delete
  6. I am glad that you were able to rescue the little creature! I was just hearing about Weaver's poppies. If I lived closer, I'd be stopping by for poppy seeds at your house too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome to have some poppy seeds sent if you wish.

      LX

      Delete
  7. So good to see you! Well done on your daring rescue - I notice you called on the man of the house to accompany you into the closet (oo-er!) As for Poppies, I've never succeeded in this garden, only with the yellow ones, but I have been promised some seeds by a fellow blogger (thank you Mary and gardener Jack - 'Trundling through Life') so hoping for better luck this time. KEEP ON BLOGGIN'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of nice to be back… I think? Thanks for your vote of confidence. If I offer you seeds as well you will be awash with them at this rate. I am happy to…

      LX

      Delete
    2. Oh yes please! Never can have too many poppies. Are you on Facebook? (So that I can private message you my address).

      Delete
    3. Err… no don’t do facebook, my email address is here.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...