..

Sunday 22 April 2018

All my life I’ve been...

an old mans’ darling... no idea why?  As I rapidly join their ranks nothing has changed... well except me getting old!  Trouble is, with the passage of time I am now one of them.
Back in the mists of time if a boy had the courage to trog across the dance floor to request my hand in the Gay Gordon’s I would never refuse.  The fact their eyes only came up to my newly emerging bosom or that they had a severe case of pustules I felt they had earned the respect of gracious acceptance.  Not all my contemporaries felt as I did.  This has been my MO all my life and I am happy to say I am unashamedly boasting here and why not?
What has reawakened this memory you might idly wonder?  Well I will tell you.  As we were leaving the pub I was taking my leave of the founder members of the Glass is Half Full Club when I was whisked into the arms of a man who
 probably tips the scales at a tad less than half of me and danced around the pub.  In his arms I felt every ripple of my larger than life persona fit to burst out of my underpinnings.
Now some might say this is the stuff of an old man’s dreams... for me, more like a ruddy nightmare!



4 comments:

  1. Am old man's darling

    A great phrase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along with picking up some interesting old codgers, I’ve managed to collect some odd phrases some of them fruity I don’t mind admitting.

      LX

      Delete
  2. It is! And I haven’t heard it in years, decades even! My mother used to say ‘better an old man’s darling than a young man’s slave’....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true that is: I had completely forgotten that wonderful saying.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...