..

Sunday 21 July 2019

Is it the...

creepage of the years that suddenly I can no longer spell very well?  Not I hasten to add did I ever have the full command of language!
Now even the simplest of words evade me, some days more than others.  I kid myself that the very real reason for my failings isn’t the rapidly dying grey cells but this infernal thing... blooming spell check!  Added to which the thing thinks it knows better than me what I want to say, adding the most weird words?  My trouble is, I decide the gist and take off with fingers flying over the keys.  In my full-on style I haven’t the time for mere trifles like grammaticals (I do love words that aren’t correct, but somehow strangely right).  An English teacher would have a field day with my prose, the dunces hat would become a permanent perched on the top of my empty head.  Am I bothered?  Not a bit, I enjoy the flying in the face of the norm.
What’s bought this post about you might idly wonder?  Well, I’ll tell you: just this morning reading out a piece in today’s paper I said Democlots.  Laughing  fit to bust I had a passing horrible thought maybe the brain is seizing up?  A Freudian slip? Depends which side of the fence you’re on I suppose?


8 comments:

  1. With predictive text my granddaughter Emily always comes up as email!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry that predictive text will very s l o w l y take over the world: our brains will be replaced by computers, our bodies will over time come to resemble the tin man in The Wizard of Oz. One morning we will wake up and discover as if by magic we have morphed into a flaming robot!

      LX

      Delete
  2. Democlots should be a word! In fact I think we should start a few new words. Politiclots, Euroclots, Brexiclots. :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, the world is going mad, if I wasn’t so dim I’d be seriously worried. Well to be honest, I am, so maybe there is still a spark?

      LX

      Delete
  3. This effing predictive text will be the death of us. I can type my meaning right over it and the original predictive remains. I must proofread every word I've typed. I.hate.it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t got time for proof reading as even if you do it seems to sneak in after you have carefully corrected its corrections. Look here this is my blog, not yours sort of thing, just wish it would have a hissy fit and bog off!

      LX

      Delete
  4. Democlots, that's wonderful! (Euroclots even better, ha ha!) They should be called this anyway as they way their new leader is blathering on about remaining you'd think they'd not heard of Democracy. As a nation we voted. The result was to Leave the EU. As they say in modern parlance, End of. Not everyone likes this. That's called Democracy. Not everyone likes this, no one expected everyone to like the result, but we have voted.
    I have to read everything I write, too, and still typos slip through, or the predictive text thinks it knows better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry only just seen this! Yes the referendum has divided the country and as you say this is democracy at work. Unfortunately whatever the result there would be folk not happy. If you don’t like the result, don’t ask the question. Wish they would bite the bullet and get on with it, then we can all get on with our lives and healing the rift in the country.

      LX

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...