..

Monday 29 July 2019

My neighbour...

 Donald Downs Esq.

Eccentric man of fish and maybe bosooms?
Hopefully you can read the blurb alongside  the photograph?
This was the gentleman I was referring to in my last blog post.
Donald was my next door but one, neighbour. We lived on Hosey Common which is just a mile from Chartwell, Winston Churchill’s home.
His cottage was a Hansel and Gretel pretty brick built abode.  Although he was an 
architect he never felt the need to install a lavatory or hot running water.  Preferring to go to the lav at the bottom of the garden. That was fine until the day when he was laid low with the flu, which is when LL rode to the rescue.  In I went with a nourishing bowl of stew and tatties and there before me was the vision of Donald sat by the fire amongst the detritus of bachelor living, clad in long nightshirt topped off with a night cap.  On a previous visit I had braved the rickety-rackety stairs to see him in bed. Ever mindful of where I put my feet in order not to walk into the many and various bottles full of Tizer, Irnbru and Dandelion and Burdock... or maybe not!?!

Donald was definitely one of life’s true eccentrics, he was a ‘Scot’ although this 
particular Scot was born not a million miles 
away from where we lived!  He effected a broad Scots accent and was immersed in all things Scottish.  Googling his name today I was amazed to see Donald Downs ‘Baird’... an affectation?
Every Hogmanay we would share a quaich of whisky.



My sandstone cottage is on the right of the 
pair.  Donald’s is the next one up.  Photograph is Circa 1900, give it another 101 years then through the rose surrounded window  is the scene of Breastgate!  This picture I have on my wall a copy given to me by yes you’ve guessed it... Donald.


Thanks to Frances for giving me the subject of this my next post.

3 comments:

  1. You are welcome !! What a pretty cottage you lived in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in lots of ways it was a magical place, sad because that was where I nursed Simon through his illness. He died in the study very early one August day. Lettice and I were together in the cottage that morning waiting for the first visit of the day from the district nurse. A three hundred year old cottage that births, deaths, marriage were all grist to the mill of the fabric of the property.

      LX

      Delete
    2. You have made me cry.....but not in a bad way. Glad to hear you had Lettice with you.xx

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...