..

Tuesday 9 July 2019

Tales from the ...

countryside smack in the middle of town.
Today has been a pottering day, the clock was put on the wall, it will be ages before himself jiggles it until the clock settles to keeping the right time.  Patience is needed just as well I’m not put in charge of marking time.  If it were me I’d give it a smack and tell it to behave itself.  The husband talks soothingly, encouraging and gently massaging until the clock with a sigh accepts that this is to be its new home.




The bird feeder has been put into the Wrenery filled with seeds and mealworms and we wait patiently, that word again for the birds to discover their new feeding station.






The nesting box has been sighted in amongst the ivy on the wall in plenty of time for the small birds in the winter to use it to roost in.  Later hopefully for a robin to call it home come the spring.  Can you see it poking out in amongst the greenery?





I’ve made a start on the sauce for the vegetarian moussaka for supper.  The bread is proving in the warm of the Orangery.
 I love these not really achieving a huge amount, but nevertheless enjoyable pottering days, don’t you?

7 comments:

  1. I've got a clock just the same...its on a mega sulk at the moment! My father saved it at the last school he taught at when the headmaster installed an electric clock.(in 1980 or so if I remember rightly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I remember going with my father to buy this clock from a old german watchmaker in Hextable. He bought that and we bought a grandfather clock. Long gone, along with the man and the marriage!

      LX

      Delete
  2. I have about a million clocks in my house! I used to make clocks to sell and hubby loves to fix clocks and he made a small grandfather clock/dolls house for me for my 50th. Needless to say there are no two at the same time so we're either late or early for everything! I love pottering days too, unfortunately I probably have a few too many of them where I achieve very little! Must try harder lol. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I have a very simple clock, that I have in my work room, which although the hands are wobbly I always wind up. I remember it from my childhood in my grandparents home. It has a long chain and a windmill that turns, I will send you a photo, if I remember? Thinking about it I could ask himself to gently tighten the hands and then it may stand a chance of telling the right time. The joy is in its simplicity.

      LX

      Delete
  3. I potter daily and achieve small amounts. I too have the same clock. It's oak, on a square frame, and heavier than heavy. I don't potter with it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is still pottering with it this morning, as it is refusing to go for more than a few minutes. I wouldn’t mind but I’m supposed to be the tricky one around here!

      LX

      Delete
  4. I admire what you have done here. I love the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that is working for you as well. Do you have any more info on this?
    wall art

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...