..

Wednesday 29 January 2020

A flavour of...

my world...
I am in total, like absobloominlutely in awe of
Audrey, my adopted mum.  No matter what ghastlies her creaking bod throws at her she bounces back.  At ninety five her body is on the home straight heading for the big chequered flag in the sky.  Err... Audrey has other ideas!  Some days I phone and she sounds weak mentioning in passing her 26th trip to the loo!  Others she is chipper and full of the preparations she is putting in place for when she decides the time is right.  We have even agreed a sign she will send me when that time comes and to contact me from the great beyond;
no not a white feather, or even a rainbow, but a fried egg sandwich!
All her friends either won’t or can’t talk about death, she finds our free and frank discussions a little light relief.  I say I hope one day to get the call that she has died in her sleep to which she replies that she is keen to be awake to experience it.  My idea wouldn’t at all be her required choice of departure. I counter with, what if the mode of transport is the lavatory and the fuel a s**t slick!  That gave her pause for thought and chuckles (she’s that sort of woman!?!)  The fried egg sandwich will be her letting me know she is okay and things are tickerty-boo on the other side. 
Sounds like a plan, don’t you agree?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a woman like my grandmother...in her 90s declaring Learn something new every day...if not why not?! And deciding in her very late 90s that she'd had enough thankyou so stopped food and drink intentionally. Long may your mother enjoy life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To say I am in awe is the understatement. I often try to put myself in her position and wonder how I would cope? An interesting experiment I don’t mind telling you. The other day she was saying she had had a headache for a couple of days, she didn’t want to take any painkillers, just happy to let it take it’s course. Audrey is most definitely in the driving seat, very similar it would seem to your grandmother gz. A good place to be!

      LX

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a brilliant plan if you ask me. I was talking to my elderly neighbours daughter today. The e.n. is now in a carehome and has recently begun to lose her marbles along with her mobility. She's 93 and has no quality of life any longer. We were both saying we'd rather 'switch off' before this stage if possible. It's like visiting the waiting room to heaven when you go to the home for a visit. I hate it but I wouldn't not visit her even though I feel the time is coming soon when she won't know who I am. I know she already forgets who's been to visit her so it can't be far away. As long as you keep hold of your marbles long may you live! Good for Audrey, she sounds a tough cookie - not unlike yourself! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey has all her marbles and some. She really is a force to be reckoned with. Right from the go get, her and I hit it off, we met at lip reading class and we would just have to look at each other to know what the other was thinking. We were the naughty ones. She was born the year after my mum, who died a long time ago aged 48. So by the time I found her I was due another mum. Like all daughter mother relationships we have had our moments, bottom line though is we love each other. As I said at the beginning my respect for her knows no bounds...

      LX

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very fine friendship of two feisty fine ladies. And thanks for the photo too! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes right in one... feisty is the word. The photo is an old one, Audrey is now a lot slimmer, for obvious reasons!?!

      LX

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of her positive attitude. Is there a back story to the fried egg sandwich? Is it just going to appear - and when it does, will you eat it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is Elaine, Audrey loves her food and no matter how poorly she feels she always asks me what I am preparing for supper. She is no cook herself! Obviously with her tum she has to be very careful about what she eats these days. The other day we were talking once again about death and the fact she now seems to spend her days sleeping. Me, being me said is she putting in some practice in readiness for the BIG sleep? She laughed and said most definitely NO! One thing led to another and she said we must devise a plan for a sign as she was keen to let me know how it was all going. Prior to that she had asked for we had had for luncheon, my not very worthy response was a fried egg sandwich, a not too frequent occurrence in this house. She went into raptures about the joys of a fried egg sandwich. I replied that on the rare occasions we have them we always thoroughly enjoy them and mean to have them more often. That’s it she said when the yen appears for this most flavoursome of treats, you will know it is me getting through to let you know things are fine..... Well you did ask Elaine!?!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...