..

Wednesday 13 May 2020

The Wrenery...

I am thinking of renaming.
Yesterday as the birds were in and out scoffing all the nuts, seeds fat balls of the cold collation I put out daily.  I thought it should be called...
The Aviary, now I am not so sure as last night calling Ellie she didn’t come straight in as she normally does but did a doggy detour looking like David Attenborough dressed as a dog at a fancy dress party.  
‘Hmmm?’  I thought, I’m quick like that!  I stepped out to investigate and there was a ....
Roll of drums here please...
a hedgehog.
Boy did I go to bed happy.
This morning I have made it a house.  Husband said, typical bloke-like...
‘I am sure it already has a house of its own!’
I didn’t bother to reply: my eyebrows did the talking and there were lots of swear words... well that is if eyebrows could talk obv!?!


This is the house I have made, it is a sort of hedgehog second home, not a permanent residence you understand?  I have put in an old tea towel, which might be a strange choice and there is a reason for this...
as you will see.


Every night in Goudhurst we would watch the hedgehog appear, have some food provided by us in a cunning maze of a box to prevent cats from scoffing the hedgehog’s supper.  Then wander down to the pond have a drink and then go into the greenhouse for a power nap.  Although why he/she would want one after having just snoozed the day away was beyond me?  Any way very often the tea towel would be half down the path having I suppose got stuck on it’s prickly back.
So with this insider knowledge I have provided the exact same tea towel and now await further developments.
I will report back...


12 comments:

  1. How sweet!!!..Your wish came true! I love these little creatures, we had them in Germany, but none in Canada.
    Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the pond and the frogs now and I will be happy!

      LX

      Delete
  2. Lucky you to be blessed with a prickly visitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, luckily Ellie takes not one bit of notice of either the birds and only vague interest in the hedgehog, just enough to let me know it’s there.

      LX

      Delete
  3. How sweet. The hedgehog does not care what you name the Wrenery, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Hedgehogery? The madhouse might be more apt?

      LX

      Delete
  4. I hope everyone's safe and staying safe. I just read that the virus is mutating and getting much more dangerous. I don't want to alarm anyone but it's time to get right with God, cause this is getting downright scary! Stay home and stay safe, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't had a hedgehog in the garden for several years......I can't try to attract them as the dog goes nuts if he finds one.....growling and pushing at them with his nose. Probably not good for his nose or the hedgehog! He has however alerted me twice to small ones prior to winter that would not be big enough to make it, and I have passed them on to a local lady who overwinters the little ones and sends them about their business when they are big enough in the spring. I also rescued one that some idiot had placed outside the door of the closed vets' local surgery one Saturday morning. There was a note hanging out of the letter box saying it was a hedgehog, so I looked and so it was! Phoned the main branch and took it over to them. A weekend in a box would not have helped it!! My bird feeders are not being used much at the moment...I guess there are plenty of insects etc about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A positive paragon of virtue... Frances of Assisi!

      Ellie is far too laid back to do other than acknowledge their presence. She is the same with sheep, maybe that is why she was treated so badly on the farm she came from?

      LX

      Delete
  6. How lovely. I've never actually seen a hedgehog here. I think I must live too near the city to get much in the way of wildlife. We don't even get squirrels in our garden, although there are plenty in other places near us. In fact when I think about it we don't really get many very interesting birds either! We get millions of magpies and pigeons and a robin or two and we currently have a blackbird nesting somewhere nearby, I keep seeing them having a wash in my pond. Other than that and of course my frogs, we seem to live in a barren wasteland!
    I must admit though, I do like the name wrenery, even if its not entirely accurate of its visitors. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky as the Wrenery is such a lovely tranquil haven where the birds feed all day especially now with nests full of babies. And with the added addition of the hedgehogs visits, last night the tea towel in the house has been moved so it is obviously inspecting it. Trouble is I can’t see in very well! A definite problem for me as I like to be knowing! The hazelnuts had also gone. The pond next...

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...