..

Tuesday 4 August 2020

I’m going all dollally...

doolally-tap!
Well, it’s like this... don’t you think when you are bored, oh and getting decrepit you tend to look back?  That is exactly what I am doing.  The clock ticking on the wall is reminding me with its loud tick that time is moving on.
Being a glass half full sort of a lass, it really hacks me off to not be free, so what do I do I look back to times when fun was very much a part of my life.  To laugh is one of the most intoxicating experiences.  Lately laughter hasn’t featured muchly, in fact any day I expect Boris to ban it!?!
So here is a story that could so easily have had a different ending.  When I left the Highlands I bought a small terraced cottage in York, right beside the river Ouse.  Coming home one night I noticed a young guy looking up into a tree on the footpath beside the river.
Never one to miss an opportunity to chat I enquired as to the object of his curiosity,  It was a barn owl, we got into conversation as we stood looking at it sat looking at us.  He was from America travelling, York obviously high on his list of cities to visit.
Well as I was only a short walk from home I said why not come in for coffee.  My thinking, he had travelled all this way and never probably stepped into anyone’s home.  That in my book is how you get the feel for the country and its people.  I had a boyfriend so before you think I had an ulterior motive, you couldn’t be more wrong!  The evening finished with him showing me how to juggle.  It was a memorable evening for him I’d like to think, as well as for me.  My neighbour the next day said
‘What were you up to last night?  All I could hear were gales of laughter!’

Thinking about it afterwards  it occurred to me it could have had a very different outcome?


The tree at the end of Alma Terrace in York minus the owl obv!?!

8 comments:

  1. Anyone intrigued by a barn owl is probably a decent sort of person. Did you ever get flooded out of there BTW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not where I was, the flooding did affect my father’s house right on the Ouse. The level did come up to the top of the steps of Alma Terrace, I was a few houses up so not that far, well at least in my time there!

      LX

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you just follow your intuition and enjoy life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I have done all my life. Luck has thus far kept me safe from all of my more outlandish capers!

      LX

      Delete
  3. I think in the 'olden' days we did more things like that. We left babies in prams outside shops! Up here in Glasgow we talk to everybody! My hubby was once out in the city with some visitors from France and while waiting to cross a road a man struck up a conversation with hubby. Once they were across the road the visitors asked who that had been and hubby said I've no idea. The visitor said do you always talk to strangers and hubby said, in Glasgow yes!
    Juggling is a very funny thing to try to learn, perhaps you should dig out your balls and give it a go again, so to speak lol. I just had a good laugh watching QI XL with Sandi Toxvig. I think she's brilliant and its very funny. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is people have always spoken to me. One man in my life was disgruntled that strangers always smiled at me and very often spoke. I must have that sort of expression, I just love it. He wasn’t impressed, needless to say he bit the dust!

      Balls! I’ve always got too many in the air at any one time, that I suspect will never change, so maybe I should start up learning the skill of juggling again. My life might then oddly not resemble a ruddy circus!?!

      LX

      Delete
  4. It was another time and life back then. My sister and I picked up a hitchhiker once, let him off at our exit and picked him back up on the other side of the road. I think he stayed a month. We came home to a clean house every night and supper. He was from Steamboat Springs Colorado. His name is on the tip of my tongue. It's the same as a pickle company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Branson? What a lovely gesture. Fortune favours the brave, good for you Joanne.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...