..

Monday 31 August 2020

My stout legs pumped...

like billy-oh!  Fuelled with anger!  I ought to explain...
New year’s day on the farm.  The farmer suggested we go out for a walk in the Dales.  A lovely idea to get away from the 24/7 graft of life milking cows and shovelling  s**t, I was up for it!  Hold tight... he insisted he invite his brother, which I wasn’t too happy about, as I was looking forward to some quality time just the two of us somewhere other than feet deep in the proverbials!
We verbally tussled; he picked up the phone and the invite was extended, his brother didn’t want to go.  So what did the farmer do? 

Proceed to persuade, cajole, bully him into going, reluctantly he agreed.  All the while I stood by with steam under pressure escaping my earholes!
In a hissy fit, I said
‘Count me out!’
I would have gone if Chris had agreed more readily.  As it was, it seemed obvious to me the man was only leaning on his brother to get back at me.

He left.  I got my bicycle out and rode the ten miles into York.
To say I was unhappy was the understatement.  Wandering round, the world seemed full of couples enjoying their day and each other.  I knew then as I climbed back on my bike to cycle ‘home’ that the marriage was over.


8 comments:

  1. Funny how sometimes it takes years and then suddenly that lightbulb moment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly it! So many pointers, but that was the one that broke the camel’s back.

      LX

      Delete
  2. Love your spirit, when the switch flips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how you know, just know when the time has come.
      lX

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the bike ride wasn't just into York but into the next phase of your life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I did eventually ride into the sunset it wasn’t on my bike, as Norman Tebbit famously once suggested. A stylish exit in my charabanc of a 1930’s Austin Seven was my mode of transport off into the next chapter of my rackety life.

      LX

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you made a good decision L. I bet you were much happier once the dust settled. x

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...