..

Friday 8 June 2018

Bugger...

seems to be my word of the moment.
Sad, I know!
The thing is, I have a fruity turn of phrase: where this comes from, I have no idea?
My father was very refined and the worst swear word I ever heard him say was ‘Sod it!’  which in my book is very mild.
Where the cuckoo in the nest, that is ME came from is a mystery?
In the old days I would make him laugh with my risqué jokes.
He was a good man...

Edward Sydney Steward...

I miss him and wish I had a tad more of his refinement in my veins.

So many things have happened in my life since he died in 1990: would he have been proud of his only child?
I rather think he would.


A photograph of him and his sister my Auntie Marjorie, affectionately known as Auntie Margarine,

10 comments:

  1. I love using " bugger"
    It's Bert 1940s

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple of his eye, always and forever.
    Beautiful old photograph - was he being taken to school, or rescued from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea? What I do know is that Marjorie made his life hell. After five years of being an only child her resentment knew no bounds.

      LX

      Delete
  3. I never heard either of my parents swearing, or any older relatives, friends or neighbours. I think they had every right to swear seeing as they went through a war, but nope never heard anything. So, I was an innocent when I was older and let out into the big wide world of employment and kept hearing these strange words and not knowing what they meant. How embarrasing when some of them were explained to me. I had a cloistered upbringing, or maybe a normal innocent one of which I'm thankful.

    Thinking about it I believe every day swearing must have started with our generation, don't know why unless it was part of the 'teenage revolution' of the 60s/70s along with free-love, burning the bra etc. Not a good example to set for the next generation when, with some, every second word starts with f. How times have changed!

    Myself I use bugger, bloody, sod it and hell. Quite mild really.

    Joan (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Nor do I blaspheme. I cringe when I hear G.. or J.... C.....

      Joan (Devon)

      Delete
    2. The swear words of yesteryear seemed tame in comparison to what we hear now on the television. Sad!

      LX

      Delete
  4. The swear word of my youth was "buggeration!" And I'm known for the occasional expletive. It's best to let of steam rather than to suppress anger!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  5. A full and rounded swear word if ever I heard one and not one you could take umbrage at!

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other expletives I use are "hell's bells and buckets of blood" and "Oh, sod it!" and now and again the very unladylike word far worse than these.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...