..

Wednesday 23 January 2019

Billy Bunter in a...

beige suit.  Three-piece, no less with gold watch chain across his tum.  He sat opposite me in my kings chair eating berry and coconut cake... beaming.



I couldn’t stop feasting my eyes on the beauty before me.

‘You look sleek and glossy with 
the air of an aristocrat’ I said.

He beamed as he munched into a rather large slice.
Hubs rolled his eyes all the while thinking here we go, another crush coming on!  I know!  I’m such a tart when it comes to a well turned out man, not only with polish, but with an air of otherworldliness.  Style some might say.

‘Have you come from a good family?’  I kindly enquired?
  
‘No!’ he said all the while amused and happy to be in the beam of my undisguised adoration.
‘Both my parents were in service’ he went on to explain.

‘Oh, that explains it!’

‘Not really: by the time I arrived, an unlooked for result of a power cut, my mother was forty three, old in those days, and my father had retired.’
The conversation flowed from grosgrain collapsible top hats to plus four suits with checks loud enough to stop traffic.
A welcome break in an afternoon of packing.
He came to deliver more boxes in case you are wondering?

9 comments:

  1. Couldn't stand Billy Bunter on TV and Mr Pastry. Nothing to do with anything............just a horrible memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the roundness of face, the slight roundness of tum and the general air of a man comfortable in the stylish niche he had made for himself in the world. No piggy eyes with a greed glint. A thoroughly nice chap, you know the sort Sue, the dying breed of those who open the door for you to regally sweep through, not with a broom I hasten to add...

      LX

      Delete
  2. For a slice of that cake I could manage sleek and glossy, but I would fail on the rest. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst bit was, I looked for all the world like a char of the first order, below stairs and some. Not dissimilar, only worse than the photo you posted of yourself last year Elaine... minus the fag, obviously!

      LX

      Delete
  3. What a marvelous vignette! With a subject of moving, no less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, as Hubs would tell, I have a way with words when folk of interest have the misfortune to stray across my path!

      LX

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. No this is the real deal, all EXACTLY as it happened.

      LX

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...