..

Wednesday 16 October 2019

I’ll be blowed if...

I am going to let some bugs, flour and water get the better of me!


This is the state of play this morning.
If you peer close enough the bubbles are there, the starter has doubled in size since I fed it yesterday afternoon.  I admit it doesn’t look very appetising, however I am determined to crack on.  The rule book has been chucked out of the window, we are now operating under LL Law.  These are my homegrown wee beasties so I am going to carry on feeding them until they seem more perky.

My son, a chef poured cold water on my attempts saying they gave sourdough a good try only to be disappointed time and again.  Well, all I can say is, his mother is made of sterner stuff, as well he knows!
Onwards and upwards.  Today’s ‘divide and rule’ operation.  The spare starter will be added to my usual bread recipe as an improver.  I had hoped by now, to be on the cusp of making the sourdough bread this time. However I am nothing if not patient (that’s a fib, pig-headed, more like), I am determined to not let it beat me.  Got an awful feeling I will be kissing a lot of leaden-loaved princes, however I’ve kissed worse!

5 comments:

  1. Keep going...it does improve the taste of yeasted bread if nothing else!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how! Tomorrow’s post will show exactly what improvement the half you are supposed to throw away made to today’s yeasted loaf.

      LX

      Delete
  2. I'm so pleased to see you are relentless, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never give up, tenacity is the name of the game.

      LX

      Delete
  3. A brilliant idea. You can also use discard for crumpets and pancakes as well.

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...