..

Sunday 20 October 2019

I’m about to launch...

 into  a post of meaningless twaddle**
What gave me this idea, you might wonder?   Well, I’ll tell you, even if you didn’t wonder!
In the FT’s ‘How to Spend It’ they feature different rich/famous folk, graciously giving the hoi polloi i.e. Us a glimpse into their cosseted weekend world.  I avidly read every word, each word getting further and further up my nose.  Some might say it’s envy.  I know they’re wrong.  I have in a past life seen the other side firsthand and take it from me, they take themselves very seriously.  They pore over the newspapers to see whether they get a mention, their day completely ruined if not one jot of newsprint features their name.
The Extinction Rebellion celebs are a case in  point.  Completely and utterly forgetting that in order to attend these marches and the like, they have jumped on their private jets.
They have along the way without a second thought accepted freebies from all and sundry thinking all the while it is their god given right.  

‘Just get on the phone to Land Rover will you and get us a couple of hot-off the production line Range Rovers for our shooting weekend will you, old bean’’

Blooming world’s gone mad when those who can afford it get given just about everything their grasping heart desires.

End of rant, remind me to give you a blow by blow account of my weekend here in Ludlow, your gob  will never have been more smacked! Incredulity will accompany every word you read as you get a handle on just how the other half lives.

This by the way is Giles Coren’s take, so much better put than I ever could.  I love that man.  Oh no, not another poor devil, she would clap to her matronly bosoom given half the chance. Hope you can read it, it was in yesterday’s Times 19 October.

** No, not meaningless twaddle I mean every word of it.

14 comments:

  1. Sadly can't seem to read Coren's reply......they wanted money to read anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was saying what I haven’t a hope in hell of getting across in my bumbling way. He is such a clever writer, so pithy, so say it like it is type of thing. I could send it to you but sadly of late if I sent the link they also want money for you to read further.

      So many ‘famous’ people have jumped on the bandwagon of climate change. A worthy cause if you practice what you preach, they sadly don’t, just yet another way to get their names in the paper.

      LX

      Delete
  2. PS Have you eaten all the bread yet? Did the dog get any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still some left and no, Ellie didn’t get any, she is on a diet! I couldn’t believe it when the vet said she needs to slim! It has been hard to give her only her rations, dried food, high quality, but dried all the same. He said that was what his dog had and it suited her. I do give her a carrot which she seems to enjoy.

      LX

      Delete
    2. my corgi used to steal carrots ( in the 60s)so we put grated carrot in her food...no more doggy raids on the larder, despite a heavy sliding door!!

      Delete
    3. My schnauzer likes most veg. He has had left over carrot and peas this morning with his kibble, and will get some cauliflower with his meal later!
      I have noticed that I can be in and out of the fridge getting ingredients and he doesn't bother to come into the kitchen until I get the cheese out!! How does he know?

      Delete
  3. My dearly beloved is an accountant. One his clients is a VERY famous celebrity who buys pillows costing thousands of pounds each. I am intrigued as to what exactly is in a pillow that costs that much. Dodo feathers? Stands of angora individually plucked from rabbits by vestal virgins? The mind boggles!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally get that as I have been at the coalface as a chef. These folk love to see the table groaning with food then proceed not to flaming well eat
      it. Of course they are stick thin and that’s how they manage it. Get some poor overworked chef to work her socks off for It all to go to waste. The staff get fatter as the ‘’star’ gets thinner. It has a mad, bad sort of synergy.

      LX

      Delete
  4. It's a shame but we, the public, created the monsters I'm afraid. We (not you and I but the other we's) pay too much attention to them and the more they get the more they want. It's a bit like our politicians now too. It drives me nuts that they have to have a certain amount of money to even run for office these days, hence we are getting overblown schoolboys who never really grew up and have no idea what 'real' people need anymore. There, I got a rant in too!! I may need to start my own blog! Watch your blood pressure L, you may need to stop reading the news for a while! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has gone completely bonkers, famous for being famous, just because! Trouble is they very soon start believing their own publicity. I have no time sadly for politicians, their demand for extra money for childcare for the Saturday sitting was at total odds with what many other folk with children do, they call on the family to step up. This enables them to work to put food on the table.

      Start your own blog MG... sounds like a plan!

      LX

      Delete
  5. I'm not even a Brit, but I follow your royals. Well, Kate and Wills set a good example. I don't really "get" Harry and Megan anymore. Well end of my confession of reading up on the big spenders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giles Coren my hero as well. Given up reading weekend papers, all about rich people and how to spend exorbitant money on yourself. As for the cookery pages, there is an awful lot of exotics that have never made it up this far North!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he makes me roar! Humour is certainly the way to my heart. The thing that I just can’t understand is how or why money gives people the right to feel superior... and they do!

      LX

      P.S. Not still on tripe and onions are you?

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...