..

Saturday 12 October 2019

All the...

gear and no ruddy idea!


The dog is proving hard to train.
The sourdough starter just isn’t proving a success.

For most of my life I have been blessed with enthusiasm, vim and vigour sailing through impervious to life’s knocks.  Always managing to bounce back with a smile, a mental dusting down and the thought life is too blooming good to be down.
How flaming ever...
this blooming sourdough starter is  being as cantankerous as the dog, not paying the slightest bit of notice to what I say!  I ought to own up here that at gz’s suggestion I sent off for the book.  I invested in the vessels for the woman about kitchen’s essential sourdough must-have equipment.  Ditto the shallow beehive type all singing, all dancing bread proving basket complete with shower cap type hat, a brush and a strange looking fork thingy!?!  All I’m short of now is the cauldron and the pointy hat.
And still the latest brew sits as sullen as it would appear sodding sourdough starter knows how!
The last lot after much pratting about feeding, weighing, splitting and dividing I thought was ready to go?  Wrong!
I did the float test dropping a spoonful into water and blow me down with a feather with leaden boots it sank.  While I did three laps of the ceiling, hubs was left with the arduous task of cleaning out the square sided howsyourfather, (featured in a past post) containing the shit to a blanket consistency sourdough starter.  With the correct stuff, the next batch would be a breeze... wouldn’t it!?!

I ought to say here I might help myself if I actually sat down and read the book before venturing forth.  Which I am ashamed to say I didn’t, not a lot of hope some might say?

10 comments:

  1. You were possibly a man in a previous life! Men never read instructions apparently. I have no idea what you are actually talking about. I've never come across this starter stuff but I will tell you that on your advice I tried sourdough bread and it was horrible!! I was up all night with an upset tummy so as far as I'm concerned your starter can go and take a running jump and I won't care a jot!! I hope you realise my tongue is firmly in my cheek here and I'm not being totally serious (not totally!!). Dogs, they are a mystery. We have a good one for you just now too. Our dog who is 6 and has been with us since a tiny puppy so should not have any previous life baggage has suddenly become terrified outside when we go a walk! He creeps along the road very slowly as though he's ill or has a sore paw. We've checked all paws and legs and know it is not physical as we are currently dog sitting my daughters dog and they run about the garden fine chasing all the monsters away. What to do? We have no idea. The only change in the house is that we've now stripped the living room of wallpaper (this is when I have to own up and say we've never decorated anything in this dogs lifetime!) Could this be stressing him? I've no idea and I'm not totally keen on the idea of handing over the likely £80 or more to get the vet to confirm it! Like I said, Dogs, who'd have them!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MG, you crack me up, you who the nano second a thing is past it’s sell by date chuck it out, what hope for you when Trump blows us all to smithereens and by some fluke you a bag of flour and a bottle of spring water are left, You by following my blow-by-blow account, could make a sourdough starter then bake bread on the still burning fires and save the poor souls who creep out of the cracks. Not if you flaming look at the best before date first though!?!

      I personally think your dog meets the world with shame in every step as he thinks what a woosie mum he’s been lumbered with, nothing to do with you having a fit with your leg in the air and decorating the parlour for the first time in three hundred years.

      LX

      Delete
    2. You're a cheeky bu**er but I like you! :P x

      Delete
    3. Butter? You and me both kid! Only I might have the edge on you, at least you qualify your cheek, whereas me, well I go in feet first!

      LXX

      Delete
  2. Here is a link to another blogger's recipe for successful sourdough starter. She said she followed it "generally".
    https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread
    I can't help with the dog, and the sourdough maker said it took five days to become starter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Joanne, a great page.

      LX

      Delete
    2. That looks worth studying, nice and practical

      Delete
  3. I don't bother with the basket...once mixed, it goes in oiled and floured tins to rise and bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you’re the expert sourdough aficionado are you gz? Love the book you recommended although already I am not following the recipe!

      LX

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't say expert...but I do love the results!

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...