..

Friday 11 October 2019

The vet fell in love...

with Ellie.

‘If I didn’t have a collie of my own I would gladly take her!’
No chance I thought.

He was bowled over by what a sweet dog she is.  David the vet is a lovely Yorkshireman, he has no idea that he is now my latest squeeze! I have a soft spot for men of Yorkshire as my grandfather was from Keighley.  He didn’t stand a chance, poor man.
He won our hearts by coming out of his surgery saying hello and asking us if we minded him having a look at her outside.  Ellie wasn’t very impressed as he checked her over.  He then took the lead and walked her off which also wasn’t well received.  In we went where he did all the usual checks.  Sounded her chest, he looked at her teeth and gave her the thorough once over.
I mentioned her eyes were very often sore-looking and her muzzle was on occasions red.
He looked into her eyes with a torch and observed that when the nurse came in she sniffed her as opposed to watched her as she went by.  We have been sent home with instructions to look into her eyes in a darkened room to see if her pupils are dilated in the gloom.  She may have problems with her sight, although she does seem to catch her tennis ball, so failing her reading the eye chart we have no idea as to how much she can see?




4 comments:

  1. I believe she can read the whole chart, bottom to top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She’s certainly brighter than me, so anything’s possible.

      LX

      Delete
  2. My daughters dog has poor eyesight. Apparently they can test it by holding the dog away from you so that the dog feels a bit insecure and then holding them near something that they could 'grab' onto. Her dog didn't do the grabbing bit until almost put down on it which told her vet he didn't see it until the last minute. This is probably also why he barks at bikes, people in hoodies etc - he has no idea whats coming at him! One of our past dogs went blind due to a tumour on her pituatary gland. She lived a very full life and as long as we didn't move any furniture around she was fine, in fact, we only discovered she was blind when we went off on holiday and left her with my mum. Mum couldn't work out why she was constantly bumping into things in the house and took her to the vet! Dogs! Who'd have them, nothing but a worry and cost a fortune at the vet!! How daft are we??! I look forward to seeing Ellie in her new designer (of course) glasses soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, I think can see okay-ish? She is very much work in progress as are we! Back this morning from a successful walk in the woods and home over a busy bridge which she coped with alright, only alright.

      It sounds sad about your daughter’s dog, although they unlike humans seem to just get on with it, which I honestly think us humans ought to do!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...