..

Saturday 4 January 2020

As we totter...

into the new year I have made some pretty momentous decisions...
here goes...
I have decided I really don’t like parsnips.

Christmas crackers: after years of    viewing the contents of the best crackers I could reasonably afford.  It hit me fair and square between the eyes what a total waste of money and the earth’s resources.  For what? A moment’s instant gratification and more crud into landfill.

Moving here we have inherited a formal garden, which I must say was so appealing when we came to view. Informal is my mantra, life really is too short to clip box balls and these we have aplenty.  How many balls does a girl want I wonder?  The cottage garden before Hythe was a haven for wildlife, this one will be going the same way... relief!

A small pond will be dug.

I won’t be buying lots of Christmas chocolates, it is crazy as I don’t even like them!

My exuberance must be modified; just in from the college field where even Ellie called a halt to the ball throwing game!  Having a dog in my life is one of the many highlights of last year.  She is the sweetest most loving one I have ever had.  And to think I took so long thinking I would always compare and it wouldn’t be fair on her.  Not so!

Quite by accident in the form of a hairy heap I have started to get fitter, slimmer... a little, once the figgy pudding podge is gone.

The garden room cupboard is now orderly with all boxes with labels displaying their contents... who knew I could do it, not me for one!

Entertaining, I don’t anymore; the dormant recluse is stirring.  All I really want to do is just be, making not a huge impact.  Put a sock in it, when in the past I have always opened it and out has trotted the most awful old twaddle.

Not a lot to ask is it?

Happy New Twenties!


6 comments:

  1. I like your new 'resolutions'! I agree with you on the crackers, our dog freaks out every year and this year I too decided enough is enough, we will have no more! I love parsnips especially with honey over them! I too am grateful to our dog for getting me out and about and keeping my podge at bay. Neither he nor I are overexuberant with a ball at any time.
    For my own, I was pleased with myself for holding out for a quiet new years eve. For as long as I can remember I have 'had' to go to one relative or another for 'the bells' and I have hated it every year! This year I used my dear old dad as an excuse to excuse myself! He died last April and I declared I couldn't possibly do the same old same old because of it! I got away with it and it was wonderful. I was snug as a bug in bed by 11.30pm!! I also plan to tackle our attic this year. We've been in this house since the beginning of time and some of the stuff in the attic is as old as that and smells musty and why do I need to keep it?? I've just this afternoon had to rummage around in it to find a suitable holdall to fit my son's overflow that wouldn't fit in his suitcase to head back to Sydney (tears and snotters all over the place here!) and as I was rummaging I realised even if the stuff up here is useful for anything I probably wouldn't rummage to get it and if I did I'd take one smell of it and declare a trip to the shops necessary! So, it looks like we'll be good for this year, don't you think? Onward and upward! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my life I’ve been a cracker-tart, I just love them. After getting Ellie, like you had a thought about the bangs and how frightened she would be. Then the huge wake up call of what a totally waste of time the whole thing actually is! So... no more. My worry is that I am rapidly becoming OLD and joyless?

      Treasures in the attic are a tough call, I had a major clear out when I left Goudhurst, in one way it is freeing and another I still pine some of the old tat that oozed memories that I without a qualm (then!?!) gave away? As you say MG onwards and upwards.....

      You over the teary goodbye?

      LX

      Delete
  2. You're really making a roaring start to the year!!
    All good, and congratulations. X
    I agree with Ellie...you bring the ball they want back and they chuck it away AGAIN.....!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ain’t see anything yet gz! I get exactly what you say about the ball, she loves it so much though, but like so much in my life it is a matter of degrees and knowing when to stop! Enough said!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Yes, you have made fabulous inroads into the new year, and it's only the 4th of January. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pherr... the garden yesterday! I’m on a roll, probably have burned myself out by twelfth night, then where as the rest of the year beckons?

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...