..

Wednesday 27 May 2020

I wish I didn’t...

care about injustice, politics, the state of the world, so many things.

I have a cousin who is just eleven months older than me.  We couldn’t be more different.  Her father was my mum’s brother, our families lived next door but one to each other.  I was a tomboy with little care for my appearance whereas Chris and her sister, their mother would send to bed with a head full of metal dinkie clips in order to put a little light movement into their poker straight hair. I was lucky to have naturally curly hair, their mother never forgave me for that!

Me!

As we grew up our lives couldn’t have been more different.  Chris had one job, married and lived in the same house.  Her appearance and the cleanliness of the house was her only pleasure.  Her one hobby was the state of her hair... yes, really!  I blame it on those blooming dinkie metal curlers! 


In a force 10 gale her hair, not dissimilar to Trump’s would stay unmoving.  Elnett shares soared.
Me, well I have racketed around my life and the world like a whirlwind.  I honestly think that is why I care!

Snorkelling in warm seas admiring the colourful house reefs I would often think about Chris and  because of her fear of messing up her hair marvel at just what she had missed?  As I puffed up mountains, sitting on the top admiring the view my thoughts would turn to her and her life on the margins of an exciting time to be alive.

Sadly we have lost touch, how she is getting on in this strange world we all find ourselves in... who knows?  Her clean gene is probably in overdrive.  I just hope she has stockpiled cleaning products... Oh yes... and
hairspray.

9 comments:

  1. What an Adorable Child, and a great head of hair, no wonder your Cousins and their Mom had Hair Envy! Yes, I'm glad my Life took many turns and travels, I can't even imagine staying within the box or not coloring outside of the lines to experience as much as you can. I do Care too much also... there is so much to Care about... and someone HAS TO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we have both played the hand of cards we were dealt with style and panache, not forgetting to care for folk along the way.

      LX

      Delete
  2. You could just send a Hi how are you? Especially in these times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have and and with that very excuse ‘ in these unusual times’... no reply!

      LX

      Delete
    2. Better you tried..she has no excuse then!!

      Delete
  3. Perhaps the problem is her name. Chris, rhymes with...Oh, Well.
    I sent an unusual times note to a lost old friend, too. Same result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is at times like this you remember long lost chums. Sad if you are left wondering, at least we have made the effort. Most I have got in touch with out of the blue have been fine and at least know I care.

      LX

      Delete
  4. I have a similar situation with my brother and to some extent my mum. I may steal your idea and do a blog post about this too as I started a comment which was going to end up longer than your original post! May I just say, I feel her loss must be greater than yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do pinch my idea, as you put it, very often reading others blogs reminds me of long forgotten memories. It is exactly what I like about the whole blogging fraternity.

      Chris and I were close, I used to make her laugh by my mad antics, singing in french (I haven’t a word of french) was a speciality! My complete disregard for her velour sofa, which she would brush to get the grain going the right way the minute your bot had lifted from the settee, that would make me flop down even harder and wrigggle to get the velour all of a do-dah! ‘Get yourself another one as this one is such a blooming pain!’ I would cry as once again I practiced my Fosby flop!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...