..

Tuesday 13 October 2020

I’m nearing the top...

would crampons and an oxygen bottle be in order?  I have a very real  feeling of a fairy on the top of a Christmas tree as I await my turn on the allotment list.

The allure of an allotment advances.  Could it be the order for a funky red wheelbarrow draws ever closer?  I have until now resisted the temptation to inquire as I had the distinct impression that the Allotment FOC every time he saw me hoving to, ran and hid in the cupboard under the stairs.  The other day with him lulled into a false sense of security as not a word had issued out of my rosebuds for many a long month I gently enquired...

‘Should I be ordering my wheelbarrow just yet?’  

Winded and quite taken out of his comfort zone he replied that the word on the street was yes indeed there might, just might be a chance. As next year could possible see me planting my flag on my very own piece of Shropshire sod.

Smiling, hardly able to hold my happiness in check I said

‘I promise not to ask again!’

He I am sure breathed a huge sigh of relief as did the spiders, brooms and bog rolls residing in the under stairs cupboard.

12 comments:

  1. I hope he's not leading you on! You know what these 'old' men are like! :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my life I’ve been an old man’s darling, not sure why?

      LX

      Delete
  2. That was a funny encounter and to think of him hiding from you is amusing. Are you going to order your red wheel barrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven’t clapped eyes on me Terra... scary! I think I will get ordering any day now!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Good news! Just don't go at it full pelt when you do get the allotment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is that is exactly what I will do!

      LX

      Delete
  4. I hope you get the O.K for the plot before the winter so that you can plan for spring. Do you know the size of the plot? It will be very convenient for you, being, you just live across the road from the gardens! How does your husband feel about the undertaking?....I hope your wish comes true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The husband Is well used to my madcap ideas and let’s face it anything that gets me busy and occupied that doesn’t have him firmly in the frame has got to be a plus. Added to which the veggies, fruit and flowers I shall grow for him to enjoy. A simple pastime with benefits, what is there not to like?

      LX

      Delete
  5. Perhaps not order the seed potatoes just yet, eh?
    Will you have a shed? Ooooohhh the excitement!!
    You'll need a chair and cushion, table, pencils & pens in a pot, pad of paper (for lists, notes, reminders, etc.), gardening diary, twine, sticks. . . . Oh Santa's list will be an intriguing one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enquire as to which one I might get, the allotment foreman was very noncommittal, can’t for the life of me think why? Just wish they would get a wiggle on and decide...

      My head is full of wild imaginings of tasty veg, you never know my long held distain of dahlias might bite the dust!?! An allotment... a riot of colour and knobbly unusual produce is my idea of heaven. Just hope it is out of the way so the die hard ‘uniformity is a fine thing’ gardeners with their serried rows of ramrod straight carrots won’t see my Salvador Dali type planting scheme!

      LX

      Delete
  6. You do know that those 'die hard'fellers will converge around your plot to discuss in depth all your efforts, once you've gone and shut the door behind you? They will chew it over and find fault with so many things, but keep their heads down until they see what results you will get; that will be the deciding time whether to speak out or not. You just do your own thing, Lettice and enjoy your little plot of heaven.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I am in no doubt: what they don’t know is how their view of allotmenteering will shift on its axis. Smelling salts at the ready...

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...