..

Wednesday 6 May 2020

If glaring could...

make them grow I would be the doyenne of Chelsea Flower Show.
My stares, glares and evil eye,
make not one jot of difference.
I fanny about stage managing the greenhouse, the pots, the wires for the vine to grow.  Impatience is the name of my particular gardening game. I pop seedlings fresh out of the womb of their seed casing into the cold soil.  Heartlessly I heed not one word of their faint feeble cries.
I lavish them with the best possible compost, the finest ageing pots, made from the clay used to make the terracotta army.  Chimney pots wait in serried ranks, old wash tubs stand expecting their call to arms at any moment.
And will the little buggers grow?
Oh dear me no!
Well maybe, but to their own agenda, even the might of Lettice Leaf is no contest to Mother Nature.


It’s as it should be, reluctantly I realise as I sit drumming my fingers on the wormery.
At least those little critters seem to be working hard, so all is not lost here in deepest Ludlow.

10 comments:

  1. It is frustrating...but then all of a sudden things are growing, need potting on, gardening off ready to go in outside!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is I am a NOW sort of person... instant results type of thing!

      LX

      Delete
  2. You know its only the first week of May right? You live in the UK not Italy for goodness sake. Give the poor wee seeds a chance! They will grow, in their own time on their own terms! A bit like Ellie really! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! Patience isn’t one of my many virtues!?!?!

      Best not talk about Ellie she is jockeying with me for the role of diva, who would have thought it?

      LX

      Delete
  3. Surprising little buggers; show up when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and that is exactly what I like. I love seeds doing their own thing and popping up where suits them best, however I just wish they would get a ruddy wiggle on! Not a lot to ask is it?

      LX

      Delete
  4. it is early in the year so we may be expecting too much of these poor little things. I talk to my plants, they said if I left them alone they would surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking to plants is HRH approved so that’s okay, not sure shouting at them is though and as for quietly seething that’s enough to send them backwards. Best be my usual bright and sunny... and if you believe that Betty you’ll believe anything?

      LX

      Delete
  5. I was thrilled to find that my runner beans finally broke through the top of the soil in their pots yesterday! No hassling from me...they did it all by themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Frances, take it from me, bossing and stropping hasn’t worked around here! They know best, so I bow to their superior knowledge... hard though that may be!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...