..

Sunday 3 May 2020

‘What can I do for...

badness?’ 
is an oft heard refrain from my rosebud lips. 
As I’m at a loose end, aren’t we all?  I got to thinking, like you do, of some of my past capers, of which it won’t surprise you to imagine there are many!

He stood on the doorstep of my little terraced house beside the river Ouse in York.  He had carefully dressed in the hand spun, dyed and knitted by me fair-isle pullover.  As I opened the door the last person I expected to see was him.  My last sighting  was as he walked up to get the mail bus from where we lived in the Highlands.  He was off potato picking in Ripon. His parting words were 
‘If I can’t have you no one else will, I will fire the croft with you in it!’
With him away I had time to plan my escape.  I trudged up to the phone box to consult with a solicitor as to what to do.  The guy came all the way from Inverness to see me, his advice was for me to pack up his belongings and send them to where he was staying.  Provide a covering letter saying as the relationship had broken down it was over!  In fairness I had been saying this for eighteen months, so it wasn’t going to be a complete bolt out of the blue.  
My next problem was I didn’t have his address. I just wish I could remember exactly how I got it without alerting anyone what was afoot.  I did somehow get it and packed up his things, hired a man with a van to take them with the letter. At the solicitor’s advice told him to unpack the contents onto the pavement if necessary, deliver the letter and drive away.
I then had to pack up all my things and find homes for the animals. This is where my lovely neighbour came to the fore to take the animals and change the locks when I drove away.  I still feel in his debt to this day!
Into another van me, my treasures, the cat Sugar and the Westie Katie were taken by the guy who had come to do the double glazing on my croft house.  He drove us to York were I was going to stay in a house my father jointly owned with his lady friend.  
The solicitor assured me that this was my only course of action to ensure my safety and for Andy to accept that the relationship was finally finished.  

That wasn’t the end of it, without any idea about my whereabouts how did he track me down?
That’s a story for another day...


8 comments:

  1. Such a sad end to living in a beautiful place.
    I just gave mine his marching orders..and our four offspring backed me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you gz, you have my admiration, it is a tough one to call. Life is far too precious and fleeting as we all know especially now. To be happy with the partner that enriches your life and you theirs isn’t a lot to ask is it?

      LX

      Delete
  2. That's a terrible thread to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price you pay for leading an extraordinary life I suppose? On balance I wouldn’t change one second of my rather scatterbrained and carefree journey. At the very least I can see the funny side of most situations I have found myself in, a good quality to have! Never a victim, always a sparky survivor.

      LX

      Delete
  3. Wow, my divorce went quietly compared to that. I am glad you see life through the long lens of humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that expression ‘see life through the long lens of humour’... it is the only way for me at least. Life is too precious not to, as we all know especially now!

      LX

      Delete
  4. It was lucky you had somewhere else to go. You've led an amazingly 'interesting' life! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the ruddy understatement MG. I have certainly lived life in the fast lane... ‘All in the best possible taste!’ as Kenny Everett would say.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...