..

Saturday 12 December 2020

I am doing a...

 No Dig Allotment.  Now before you think I am driven by idleness, you may in fact have a point, however I would never admit it in a court of law, or come to that I would never admit it... full stop.  When you see one Charles Dowding plying his trade you can see how it all seems to make perfect sense.  Why would you interfere with worms who it would seem make a blooming good job of turning the soil, alright they don’t do digging they just wriggle and squirm until the right texture is reached ie the crumbly cake crumb type.  Digging is so last century.  Cardboard is the must-have of the no-dig brigade.  You lay cardboard over weeds’n’stuff and pop on the top some soil, then plant directly into this.  Sound like a plan?  Yes it did to me.  Only today I have covered a deeply weedy patch with the aforesaid cardboard, and onto the top placed some homemade compost, planted two thyme plants and a clematis in the herb garden section of my allotment and stepped back and admired my handiwork.  Only time will tell...

My latest squeeze... Charles Dowding, look him up on YouTube.

10 comments:

  1. Charles is my favorite gardener on YouTube, I must have watched most of his videos.... When Our City started the first Community garden, we started the same way as you and as Charles suggest. I wet my cardboard down, that way the top layer wouldn't dry out so fast....I wonder if his wife kitted the gorgeous pullover he is wearing?
    We are dialing with snow and you are planting in the garden...I wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. If I could dial up snow I would, I love the stuff, so either dealing or dialling suits me just fine.

      LX

      Delete
  3. May you garner as much swag. I'd love a couple of those tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch this space, hopefully... fingers crossed.

      LX

      Delete
  4. For a terrible moment there I thought that you'd gone all nineteen-sixties on us and no longer dug your allotment, whereas upon second reading I see that you simply no longer dig your allotment.

    Groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well two replies have disappeared and now I am back. Try again...

    The no dig chimes well with me not only because it helps the soil structure but my ageing structure as well... Ooh me back! I’m not stupid, maybe a moot point?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  6. No dig is a good idea..lasagne gardening too.,.layers of cardboard, weeds, compost...and no bare earth for carbon release

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lasagne gardening, never heard that, now gin and tonic gardening appeals I must say!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...