..

Wednesday 2 January 2019

With the last cracker...

hat on of 2018, I am sat up in bed at 10.28pm on the first day of the new year. This time last night I had probably asked for the 26th time how many more hours before midnight?  This evening by candlelight we pulled the last cracker, we troughed all the leftovers, salads mainly, made by me.  Far too healthy for our mainly meat eating, braii loving friends.  The remains of the Christmas crumble bit the dust,  the sherry trifle for breakfast, luncheon, afternoon tea and dinner tomorrow should safely see that gone.  Then it just remains for us to clip on the crampons and tackle the North face of the cheese mountain, and to think this year I solemnly swore I wouldn’t buy too much flaming cheese.  The guests were dispatched with food parcels of ‘Death by chocolate, died and gone to the devil, repair potholes  no cook bars’.  Which to our non healthy eating friends I didn’t
 dare let on contained figs!  Perhaps the odd cracking of seeds for the next 26 days, might give the game away?  Mince pies were 
also included, although I couldn’t
 bring myself to cut the cake.  It has been in and out of the tin more times than a jack in the box on Christmas morning. 
My Christmas decorations will slowly come down over the coming days. I usually leave the knitted navitivy scene until twelfth night.  You might see it peeping 
out by the chair?


Back to normality.  
Happy new year and thank you for your comments and reading my idle thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too. I have enjoyed reading you this last year.
    Our son and wife do the cooking and food buying for Xmas Day these days....they always buy too much ! We had a bucketful of cooked red cabbage to get through ( it was very nice actually) and nearly half the lamb that was our " turkey" this year....not to mention a big bag of potatoes and 2 pots of gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a clever girl to get son and wife doing the cooking. I think we all with the best intentions get carried away, but hey, everything gets eaten... eventually!

      So glad you have enjoyed my ramblings. Have a lovely new year.

      LX

      Delete
  2. And a good New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and be sure to have a happy and healthy new year yourself gz.

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...