..

Sunday 23 June 2019

We planted a...

vine in the Wrenery. Overnight it has grown 
2 cm, hard to believe I know.
The rose I pruned hard back leaving lots of blooms for the bees outside, you may be able to see them?



My plans of not doing anything in the garden for a year seem to be biting the dust, as all
 the plants in the garden seem to be working to a romping agenda.
In a smallish garden we have three arches, one at the top of the steps and two others opposite each other each side of the garden.
  Both have very rampant clematis and one a deep red climbing rose which is struggling to make its presence felt.  Balls we have aplenty, mainly box with two huge yew, at least I think that’s what they are although their rate of growth may mean they’re not?  An illustration of the rate of growth in the eight weeks we’ve been here.








We also have three standard holly bushes which are magnificent.  They will only get better as they don their winter rig of 
scarlet.


A little snapshot of a bijou garden.

16 comments:

  1. very nice indeed!
    one thought...vines were usually planted just outside then trained inside at about a foot high ISTR ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been planted outside, the Wrenery is open on three sides with the garden starting at the top of the wall. We have given it a 5 foot advantage. At this rate we should be getting grapes a week next Tuesday?

      LX

      Delete
    2. have fun with the pruning and training! I've found that the RHS book on pruning is informative and easy to follow

      Delete
    3. Just struggled in from the garden room with the RHS encyclopaedia of gardening at your suggestion. Feel holier than thou, I’ve done my exercises for the day.

      LX

      Delete
    4. A good book for indoors...but the one just on pruning...book in one hand and pruning knife in the other!

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful, and clematis is so tenacious and invasive. But, you're good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep takings those tablets Joanne, me... ‘good’ ? That new home of yours has obviously clouded your judgement!

      LX

      Delete
  3. I would love to walk round your garden.....it looks so full of beautiful plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn’t take you long Frances, it is filling in at speed. My next project is a camomile lawn, as all paving, alright with delicious borders stuffed with goodies is a tad ordinaire, told you I was a daft tart!

      LX

      Delete
  4. Wrenery? Hee hee, that's what we call a lean-to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason being when we came to view the cottage a wren was bobbing about in the spaces between the stone. So much better to call it a Wrenery, as we look out from the Orangery, the name the previous owners called the conservatory. Only right and proper don’t you agree? I’m nothing if not pretentious!?!

      LX

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks lovely. Just the right size to potter in without feeling overwhelmed. My garden is a jungle right now. All this rain then sun then rain again has made it grow wild. I've told everyone I'm going for the wild look deliberately! The wildlife like it, I went out this morning to check on my two strawberries that were almost ready on Sunday (way too wet yesterday to go out there) and they have gone! Disappeared. Blooming mice probably, oh well I hope they were sweet!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mice eat your heart out Marksgran, I reckon the culprit was a blackbird. ‘Almost ready!’ in my book means scoffable NOW!

      LX

      Delete
  6. I would think I'd died and gone to heaven if I were so blessed with your garden!! It's amazingly beautiful - lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the friend that came today said pretty much the same. Thank you Ruth.

      LX

      Delete
    2. How do you fit through the doors? (size of head)

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...