..

Wednesday 31 July 2019

The space I love...

the most in our new home.  I knew I would.I potter, I sweep, I rearrange, I draw rain water from the water butts.  I hoover it up with my eye all the while tweaking as I go.  In charity shops I am constantly on the lookout for unusual artefacts to set the scene.  This morning as I was contentedly fussing, I thought not many of my friends get where I’m coming from in my thrill of the grouping of odd, what to them is tat?  Am I bothered?  Not a bit of it!
The garden will over time revert to my usual let the plants and flowers dictate what they require.  Alright as it is now there is a very well structured designer something in flower every season, type of vibe.  I plan when money allows to have a sedum roof on the garden room.  As it is now the garden is devoid of wildlife other than a plethora of birds which in the Wrenery have now discovered the feeder.  They are constantly having a bath in the shallow water troughs put out for just this purpose.  They fly in and out completely happy with the fact there is a glass ceiling.  My idea of us sitting out there to have coffee has been thwarted by the growing collection of old tut!


The Wrenery.
If you look very closely you can see a sparrow on the wall top looking up into the square feeder trying to assess how to get up and in to feast on the goodies.  It has been up a few weeks and the first to find it was a
 robin who flew up onto the light and in.  The next was an ambitious sparrow who did a circular fly past, the next recce she flew in a semi circle from the top of my stone bookends and straight in.  The sparrows kick out what the don’t want, the robins delicately sit inside and select the 
mealworms.  It is fascinating to watch.  The beauty of the sparrows MO is the dunnocks get a share of the grub as they very studiously potter about on the ground tidying up the 
mess.

10 comments:

  1. That's really lovely! We sometimes go to a garden centre where a robin sits in the rafters singing and it is quite magical. Perhaps yours will say thank you for the food by serenading you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interesting thing is, the Wrenery was called after... yes, you’ve guessed it the wrens. Since getting here I have only just had one sighting. The robins are very tame and even their young are now coming along to visit, maybe I should rename it the Robinery!?! Doesn’t some how have the same ring does it?

      LX

      Delete
  2. I think your garden looks lovely, nothing so nice as a bit of tat in the garden! I love a potter myself. My garden is done in the style of overrun jungle but I love it, especially when I decide to weed under some of the more enthusiastic plants and find a frog staring back at me! We have a small pond in which I have 5 frogs! I have had 5 frogs in it forever, not sure if its the same 5 and every year we get frog spawn but never any baby frogs, I have no idea what happens to them but yet, every summer 5 frog heads appear on hot days to cool off! It's very strange but then my garden is a bit strange too so we all get along fine! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both kid, jungly is good! Tadpoles? Our old pond used to be Bonking Central, the noise was deafening, the poor females were wooed from all and sundry. The upshot of all this was a food bonanza for the blackbirds who fished for their young... ‘A different taste for you my babies!’ The grass was alive with baby frogs, who then had to keep out of the way of the snuffingly hedgehogs. The squillons that survived came back the next year and the whole process started over all again. Standing room only, is it any wonder some got on the backs of others... I ask you!?!

      LX

      Delete
  3. I love your wrenery. What is the climbing plant...the one with the 3 canes? I don't recognise it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A black eyed Susie. I am hoping it will grow along the wire that the vine is galloping along, it’s made a start.

      LX

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, it is my favourite bit of the whole cottage.

      LX

      Delete
  5. What a lovely place for people and birds to mingle! Bird watching is such Fun, they come to steal the Cat's kibbles, she doesn't mind, the only ones she takes issue with are Pigeons, she doesn't bother the Native Desert Species of Birds that come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sit with the doors open and watch the sparrows quarrelling in the bath. Who needs a television?

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...