..

Sunday 5 April 2020

A walk on the...

wild side in the woods.  Our hour’s exercise is now the same one every day.  Over Dinham Bridge and up the lactic ladder into the woods, back along the bread walk by the River Teme and home.  Well that is the tried and tested route until Friday, when Ellie had other ideas!  I was staying in as we were expecting a delivery from the butchers.  At the end of the bread walk, Ellie decided she wasn’t quite ready for home and shot up the lactic ladder for another circuit... ‘Look here I’m a young collie and need certainly more than a one hour trundle around the woods!’
Himself stood at the bottom and waited using the whistle a couple of times.  She stood at the top not having any of it! 
Eventually he told her to sit and wait and she did, he then when up to her put her on the lead and home they came.
With my matronly bosom heaving in indignation at the sheer effrontery of the hound.
Unspoken words echoed through my battleaxe brain... ‘Well she certainly wouldn’t have tried it on with me!’
Yesterday off we went, same route,  and yes you can probably see where this is going...
She did the exact same thing!
We sat on a seat, not permitted, but hey!?!  I whistled a couple of times, no joy I could see her high up on the cliff type edge of the woods.  I turned my back to her and waited.  I turned just too soon, as she was halfway down the steps, as soon as she saw me look, back up she went!
Little bugger!
Next I sat on the ground, back towards her... no joy.  All the while Ted sat on the seat, this went on for fifteen flaming minutes!
I then had the bright idea to walk right under the cliff, completely out of sight.  Within seconds, she came haring down, straight past Ted on the bench, swerving as she saw me stood back from him.  She rushed up to me looking relieved, I quietly said ‘Good girl!’ and home we came!

In one way I am glad she is finding her feet, in another I am sad that she isn’t getting enough exercise!





Butter wouldn’t melt in its mouth type of dawg!

12 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful that she's now confident enough to know she won't get sent away again if she's a bit naughty! She looks adorable. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a lovely girl, a joy to have around in these strange times. My only fear is I will have my work cut out jockeying for position as diva in residence!?! Not going to let a hairy heap get in my way though... I love her, but not that much?

      LX

      Delete
  2. My Border Collie does the same thing! She will come to within a few of me then twirl away and run across the pasture. It is a game she loves, complicated a bit by the fact that she is deaf. She does have a good grasp of some sign language though. Love your blog. Wish you could come cook for me as I have lost interest after preparing three squares a day for many years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last collie Lettice, a name I love so much so if I’d had a daughter she would have been called Lettice, became increasingly deaf as well and Ted taught her sign language, she picked it up so quickly.

      As a cook I worked for an ‘interesting’ family so much so whenever folk found out about who I had worked for, they very often asked me to cook for them. My pithy reply... whoever they were was... ‘On your bike!’ I have a way with words!?!

      LX

      Delete
  3. PS. Little bugger is one of my preferred phrases also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and ‘Bloody dog!’ Makes you feel better and,in the grand scheme of things it isn’t that bad?

      LX

      Delete
    2. Yes..."bloody dog" is a phrase that often passes my lips too! He goes down the garden and disappears for ages. We have a fox around regularly and I think it spends time in next door's " wilderness". Lex is often seen to have his face in the hedge , peering through, just his rear end showing.

      Delete
  4. I do love the "you come on, now" game she invented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of a comment on Radio Scotland yesterday... someone saying that he now realised why dogs are so enthusiastic on hearing the word Walkies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, that and lots of others... Ellie is sooo articulate!?!

    LX

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...