..

Saturday 22 September 2018

There was a man...

I loved him.
All the men in the pub, including my man knew of my love.

It is funny in life when you meet a kindred spirit, he was exactly that.

I best explain...
Dave used to come into the pub with a gang of, not to put too fine a point on it...
old duffers.  Loud and highly intellectual they to a man, were full of vim and vigour and a joy to be with.  Dave with his long grey hair was set apart.  An ex public school teacher who was the butt of their affectionate jokes. The reason, he was very deaf.  He would sit missing most of what went on around him, quite content sinking real ale and imbibing the general bonhomie.  All my life I have been an old man’s darling, now I have joined their ageing ranks, nothing much has changed!
Dave and I sealed our new found 
love with the age old custom of giving and receiving gifts.  His to me, the badge with an ear on to denote his disability.  Mine to him my head girls badge.  On seeing this he said 

‘I can’t take that, it is precious!’

My reply 

‘Think about it Dave, am I honestly Head girl material?’

On considering it for a moment he graciously accepted.  Our love was sealed for all to see with our love tokens clapped proudly on our chests.  No man dared to come between us.
We talked, as best we could

‘I enjoy talking to you, you 
enunciate so well!’
Who knew!?!


Sadly this week he died.
Four years ago he was told he had six weeks to live.  He determined then to enjoy what time he had left, drinking, loving and making merry.
I miss him, a good dear man.



24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. First and foremost thank you all for your comments and taking the time out to put your take on what is such an everyday occurrence. Why it takes us all by surprise and is such a taboo subject, I have no idea?

      Thanks Joanne

      LX

      Delete
  2. He sounds like a spirited, charming (and deaf) 'Mr Chips'. Love is powerful, no doubt it played a part in securing him those extra years.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of that I have no doubt Elaine. ‘But doctor will I live longer?’ ‘No it will just seem like that!’ Dave obviously knew more than the doc.

      Coming Suffolk way tomorrow house hunting, be afraid, very afraid!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Losing a dear friend is as hard as losing a family member - sometimes harder. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A special chum in an interesting time in my life. He will be much missed, not only by me I hasten to add.

      LX

      Delete
  4. Dave will live on in your heart and in your memories.

    My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, a very special man, fun as well, what is there not to like?

      LX

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. He would elbow my husband out of the way, which made everybody laugh. Fun in these grim times, as you say so many memories...

      LX

      Delete
  6. Every once in awhile these loveable characters show themselves briefly. Only to slip beyond our mortal grasp to take their passage and journey beyond time to... who knows where and may be a different existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will we all meet up? Boy are we all in for one helluva party if we do, no need to take the tablets, worry about our health and all that stuff...

      LX

      Delete
  7. I really do believe that we will all meet up.There are too many things that have happened in my life to think anything different!!Are you really going house hunting elsewhere...I regret ever leaving my seafront flat in Ramsgate,43 years ago!,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, although how I will be meeting up with old boyfriends... I’ve no idea?

      Yes, leaving the sea to the deepest country where there are birds other than gulls and crows. Oh and trees and grass. I do really miss them.

      LX

      Delete
  8. So valuable to find such a friend.
    I lost one last year...it leaves such a gap, more than you'd expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange in life how the odd one gets through! Not a looker, but kind, gentle, intelligent and fun! What more could a girl ask for?

      LX

      Delete
  9. That was a lovely post which brought tears to my eyes. You shared a very special friendship and your clear enunciation would be a joy to his heart.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enunciation is the name of the game: so many think when you are deaf they just need to step on the volume gas, nothing could be further from the truth!

      LX

      Delete
  10. Wonderful to share this with all of us. I made me think deep thoughts. So fine. Thank you.
    Hugs from Lina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lina, blogging is about sharing snippets of all of our lives. A simple pastime and fun sometimes?

      LX

      Delete
  11. Hello Lettice, You are not posting anything like as often as you did when I first found you, and liked you! I hope everything is Ok ? Miss reading your previously regular posts. You might just be busy looking for somewhere else to live? XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right in one Frances! We have been action packed selling this and putting in an offer on a cottage... much more our sort of thing. Service will be resumed ASAP.
    Thanks for thinking about me.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best of luck selling and buying Lettice, somewhere you are happier. I do hope you will take up your blog again before too long.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...