..

Monday 6 April 2020

‘Throw it against the...

wall and see if it sticks!’
This heading on Joanne’s blog... ‘Cup on the Bus’ of a few days ago reminded me of a post for my blog.

Those were more or less the words I used...
‘Roll it up in a ball throw it on the wall and it WILL stick!’
My words reverberated across the air waves of our local radio station... ‘Radio York’.

Through the glass as I was finishing my weekly food round up I saw the producer indicating that  I should join him.  Naively I thought the slot had gone down well!  How flaming wrong can you be?  As I walked into the adjoining studio he laid into me.
‘It isn’t your job that is on the line here... it’s mine!  There are folk that cruise the airwaves laying in wait for libellous statements and that is what you have just made!’
My mouth opened and closed a few times, for once lost for words!?!
Feebly I said ‘Well it’s true!’  I was referring to sliced white bread which I had called gunge, made by a well known manufacturer!
The rest of the piece had been fine, alright my avant garde take on food however...
The funny thing was I was never asked to do that particular slot again?  A few days later I met his wife who was full of praise of my contribution saying how refreshing it was to hear someone speaking their mind!  Hopefully she said the same to her old man?
At Radio York I also did a weekly cooking slot on the radio... more tales of that some other time.
‘Cooking on the radio?  That confirms it... the woman is crackers!


8 comments:

  1. All for telling the truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is how you tell ‘em though! Always one to say it like it is, I’ve been in hot water more times than I care to remember? That’s why I get a tad hacked off when people suggest my posts are made up! I have always maintained truth very often is stranger than fiction.

      LX

      Delete
  2. well reporting needs to be honest so I think you did fine. Nobody wants to listen to fibs, I bet your listeners trust what you say and being controversial is necessary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This all happened a good few years ago now Betty. My trouble is whatever situation I find myself in I do have a tendency to open my mouth and put my foot straight in it!

      LX

      Delete
  3. You wouldn't do well in politics these days! I do believe truth is much stranger than fiction at times. I presume the photograph is not you in your younger days on the radio?? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too blooming right MG, I think these politicians pay more attention to the training they so obviously have of NOT answering a straight question than they ever do of doing what is right for their constituents.

      Well actually I am afraid to say my mug is best suited to radio... ?

      LX

      Delete
  4. Hoof in mouth disease. I can relate.

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...