..

Friday 29 May 2020

With collie calm...

we start the day.
All is peace in this tiny patch of Ludlow.  Strangely I feel content, even more strange is Ellie has jumped up on my lap and not been her usual wriggly self.
We had a love, we have a special bond.  Dogs are mans’ best friend. Ellie is my best friend.
After Lettice died I thought I shall never have another dog, because it wouldn’t be fair as I couldn’t possibly love it as much as I did Lettice.  It took me many  tears and six long years to mend my broken heart.
Slowly not even noticing at first my mind turned, the idea to fill the void left by the fifteen year relationship with a very special chum began to take shape.  At the time I made him solemnly promise me that no matter how much I whinged and moaned (and I did!) he would stand firm against my entreaties.  He only went and did exactly as requested!  Unbeknown to me he was also feeling the same way.  One day out for a walk, like a record stuck in a groove I trotted out the same whinging refrain.  I can be a total pain at times... surprise you?  No, I thought not!
His reply...
‘You could always release me from my vow!?!’
Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather!
I would be the first to admit I am not the most measured of people, flying by the seat of my pants has been a lifelong means of travel through my rackerty life.  However this was something I had waited a long time for and wanted to get it right.
It had to be a rescue; why encourage people to breed dogs to be the latest must-have furry accessory?  There were so many unloved, unwanted dogs out there to more than fit my particular bill.
I said, I will know!
And I did.  The same as Lettice, the moment I saw Ellie I knew.  
It took us weeks of visiting the centre, because she was so afraid.
We hung on in there and boy was it worth it.

Ellie 

Lettice

6 comments:

  1. A worthy follower in Lettice's pawmarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is, and well worth the wait.

      LX

      Delete
  2. Yes, I second that observation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me being measured and patient? Unheard of, however it has more than paid off.

      LX

      Delete
  3. Your dog is darling and a dear companion. Ten days after my husband died in 2016, I was in a fog of sorrow, and went to the shelter with my adult sons and adopted my dear dog Bounce. What a joy our canine buddies are. For me, a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am with you 100%. Lettice was with me when Simone died at home, she kept me sane.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...