..

Saturday 12 September 2020

We asked her opinion...

as to whether we should visit?
After months of keeping herself safe from all comers we weren’t sure of her reply.
She said ‘Yes’
The trouble is, the time is rapidly approaching that we won’t have the choice.  With my old dad’s words echoing in my head...
‘It’s what you do for people when they’re alive that counts!’
I was keen we went.

I am a feeder.  That is what gives me pleasure, so armed with mini meat pies aplenty, cheese scones and the little Christmas pudding petit four she loves, off we went before the only food she will require is of the celestial kind!
Audrey was very frail, a shock I don’t mind admitting.
I had made a large meat pie for us to share and mini ones for her to have in the freezer.  The scones I made before we set off as scones are only at their very best the day they are made.  On arrival I sorted out the food to be frozen and into the freezer it all went pronto!
We sat and chatted, well to be more precise we sat and listened!
We are executors and I have been tasked with breaking the news of her death to her son.  Who after years of living rough is now in a hostel.  With all of this I wanted to be very clear about her exact wishes as to how I was to 
proceed.  
We enjoyed a lovely meal together with her other executor, who together with another chum have ensured she stays in her flat without carers.
I recounted how the petit four had taken the dregs of a bottle of spicy rum, ditto cognac and a shot of single malt!  Audrey suggested the husband get a bottle of Courvoisier out of the drinks cupboard as she had three bottles too many!  I graciously accepted, as with the exception of the single malt, spirits in this house are used purely for culinary purposes.


My lovely ‘Mum’
96 on the 15th.

11 comments:

  1. Still coping without carers, my words she's got good people around her (and some steel in her character still despite 96 years and son troubles). We hope you came away cheered by the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did although concerned at the change in her. Just this evening we have been on faceTime and she writes a cool email. I am in awe of her skills with the computer and her comment of English language. She is my hero.

      LX

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post and lady, she is doing so well at her age, still living in her home. I can imagine how you all enjoyed the visit, even with difficult subjects being broached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did all enjoy the visit although the excitement knocked her out for a good few days, hardly surprising? The subjects were not all difficult, Audrey always says her and I talking freely about her death is a welcome change, as her other friends find it a taboo subject.

      LX

      Delete
  3. Wow, look at that beautiful smile, despite all her fragility and ailments. I'm glad you were granted a visit and I hope she enjoys all those delicacies that you took for her. (Did you manage to salvage a freshly baked scone for her to sample on that day?) I couldn't help but notice her poor legs, with all those bruises. I hope she is being careful so as not to develop ulcers, the scourge of old age and thin skin. Did you warn her that she mustn't go out partying in groups of 6 or more? She does look a bit of a go-er!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those legs are a nightmare, just the other morning she woke to a bed full of water from her legs leaking through her very thin skin. Ulcers are a constant in her life, no sooner does one heal than another presents itself. The scones went straight into the freezer when we arrived cooked that day she will get them out as she wants them as freshly baked scones. She did enjoy the meat pie and real mashed potato.

      LX

      Delete
  4. I am the lucky one to have the chance of a second mum, mine died in 1971, just weeks after my only child was born. She was just 48.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you . She is a beauty, love the smile. We share a birthday , Happiness to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is a beauty, the photograph above her is of her as a young woman. Happy birthday for the 15th.

      LX

      Delete
  6. That smile says it all.She is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the decline that she can clearly see in the photograph has shocked Audrey. All our talk now is for the soon to come. Just yesterday, Sunday she said she was ready and that is the first time we have heard her say it!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...