..

Friday 9 October 2020

National Trust personage...

‘Hello, hello, hello, what’s going on ‘ere?  Not only has your card not got a bar code it hasn’t got an expiry date!’

‘Err excuse me sir!’  Nothing if not polite is the old man.

‘It is after all a Lifetime Membership Card and although I can definitely show proof of my identity I have sadly (even in these strange times) no idea as to my ETD (expected time of death)!’

It seems the Scottish National Trust don’t seem to operate a similar system to the English.

On our last skirmish with the National Trust heavies, the husband did phone up the Scottish HQ who sent him packing with a Scottish flea in the ear.

Two weeks later, this morning we found ourselves running through the same treacle track to nowhere.  With a different bloke this time admittedly.  Now I am sure the husband’s parents didn’t envisage this merry dance when they purchased this once in a lifetime gift?  However this is where we’re at.  I wouldn’t mind but we always purchase things like cappuccinos, slabs of bread pudding, Kendal Mint Cake even though we are ruddy miles away from the Lake District!  It is me feeling guilty as we breeze in without paying.  It is only that, you do understand don’t you?  Greed doesn’t come into it!



6 comments:

  1. We don't have bother using our nt cards in Scotland..but they aren't life membership ones . Where did you have a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that our card doesn’t have a bar code so whenever we visit they can’t scan us in and divi up the visits from across the border. At the end of the day each Trusts visitors probably equal each other out, or maybe Scotland says to England you owe us 3/9d. at each years end The man will get on the phone and try and get us a card with a barcode, although last week the Scottish National Trust told him they don’t do them. The guy at Cardingmill Valley showed us a lifetime membership card with one on the back, so we are back to square one AGAIN!

      LX

      Delete
    2. Ours doesn't have a barcode, but it does have that black and white square thing that scans

      Delete
    3. We are waiting for a reply from Scotland in answer to the husband’s request for a scannable card, round two. Watch this space for the outcome. Thanks for letting me know.

      LX

      Delete
  2. When we were members of the NTS we were told we wouldn't be able to use them in most of the English sites as they are run as separate entities. We gave our membership up when we read some unflattering news reports about the Scottish NT and how it was run. Plus we weren't really taking full advantage of the membership, only going to one property a year! The same one I might add!! On our annual day trip to Crinan we always stopped at Crarae Gardens to see the wonderful rhododendrons and azaleas. We always planned to visit other places but never quite got round to it - story of my life! You probably do need to keep on at them to replace your card with an up to date one now :( I had to do that with my Boots card! I got it before barcodes were a thing probably! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Ch.Supt. Hub was on the case like Sherlock Holmes on a murder case. He now has a stern email from the English N T to say hands off, don’t hassle our Scottish members to show when they come on strong. I wouldn’t mind but we always avail ourselves of the cafe and shop, just as I said in the blog post because I feel so blooming guilty... honest guv!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...