..

Sunday 11 October 2020

In York I worked for...

for a time as a buyer in a whole food bakery.  It was a co-operative that paid very low wages and employed people with special needs.  I loved it.  It was a time in my life when after a disastrous love affair and a move from my magical life in the Highlands I needed a new chapter of carefree living.  This so neatly fitted the bill. I was the oldest in my early thirties.  The others were in the main fresh out of university.  Me, well I was feeling fresh out of life.  This was exactly what I needed, to get my bright and bubbly  usual self back into the human race.  I wore rolled up denim dungarees, well you did in those days, frilly lawn blouses, fishnet tights, red ankle socks and clumpy brogues... well you did in those days, or at least I did!  On occasions I would be known to go into the bake house stand on a large box and say...

‘I’m bored!’  

Oddly not one person took one jot of notice!

Carl our head baker who always played classical music at high volume to enable his bread to rise would grunt and change the CD to another Wagnerian bodice ripping, guts seeping out aria, from no doubt a huge breasted heroine in a horned hat singing her boobs out of her breastplate.  What chance did I have against such a formidable foe?

Where exactly is this going LL?

  You might well wonder? 

When after a couple of years I decided to leave, I was presented by amongst other things the most wonderful willy and attendant baps of a hairy kind all made in bread. The bakehouse broom never did recover after the plucking of its bristles!

This memory triggered by Cro’s blog.


7 comments:

  1. It wouldn't have been the one in the yard off Gillygate, would it? (Cracking leaving present, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillygate Wholefood Bakery, that’s the one! You obviously remember it well? Happy fun times where I rediscovered my mojo!

      LX

      Delete
  2. You paint a wonderful picture! If you'd been given that gift now you'd have taken a photo with your phone and it would have been all over the internet by now! I can just imagine your delight at the sight of it. Is that where you learned how to enjoy sourdough? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those days I must admit I had never heard of sourdough. I do remember the faff when the odd customer and as you might guess we had a few of those (!?!) asked for a gluten-free batch to be especially made! Allergies on the scale of today were yet to be a fairly normal occurrence. Must confess when I was remembering that huge bread appendage it did cross my mind what shame I didn’t take a photograph. Great minds MG!

      LX

      Delete
  3. I think that's a wonderful going away present. What a great companion worker you must have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment Joanne. As the husband has often said not always flatteringly, especially after some daft utterance... ‘You certainly have presence LL!’ Some might say ‘A diva!’ Hard to say from where I’m standing, although in my defence I have been blessed with a happy go lucky disposition. And on occasions a cunning quip!

      LX

      Delete
    2. And that should have read ‘cutting quip’. This predictive text marlarky thinks to know what I am about to say... as if ruddy if? Not even I know what I am about to say before the words fire out of my lips like a human cannon ball out of a humongous gun, peppering the arses of the retreating troops. Added to which proof reading my prose before I fire oft isn’t a sensible thought to enter my empty head... sadly.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...