..

Wednesday 25 March 2020

What IS the story of...

the sock in the road?


Knickers, bra even I could understand, but a sock?  One sock?
For months now I have watched as the winter took its toll.  Still it lay looking for all the world forlorn and unloved.
What could I do to reunite it with its twin?  The thought troubled me as daily I saw it become ever more disheveled and dismayed.
I couldn’t even with my well honed imagination imagine how it had got here.  It’s not as if we live on a leafy lane where lovers might caste all caution to the wind.  A dead end road leading to nowhere, as a consequence bare-footed pilgrims having lost their way are I ought to say a rarity. 
What else? A one legged mistral stopping to change his socks or should I say sock?
Any idea?

This morning as I gathered the logs left outside, brave with the security of leather gauntlets I decided the game was up.

‘Look here sunshine you’re nicked!  
   I said as I bent to pick it up.  With the offending article clasped securely between thumb and forefinger finger I carried it in and sadly deposited it in the bin, never knowing the story of its let’s face it, interesting life.

16 comments:

  1. A great analogy of the things we leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I ought to get out more? Err... like the rest of us I can’t...

      LX

      Delete
  2. Has anyone ever told you you're daft?? lol. I think your sock may have flown loose from a washing line and drifted on the breeze only to find itself landing with a thud on your pavement, where all and sundry walked across it and squashed the very life from it until the final comeupance - the bin! He dreamt of a new life over the garden wall and found the grass is not always greener off the clothes rope! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times, for the life of me I can’t think why?

      Washing line? Washing line? We don’t have anything so common around these parts as our drawers blowing in the breeze! I’ll have you know, it is Ludlow when all is said and done! In Ludlow we have a lady wot does, she calls and takes away our laundry and brings it back wrapped in tissue paper. The socks are ironed and paired, the tea towels are folded with the use of a micrometer and ironed to within an inch of their very lives. Hmm... in my dreams sadly.

      LX

      Delete
  3. I am sure it is one of mine. I have so many missing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want me to hook it out of the bin and send it recorded delivery?

      LX

      Delete
  4. Just come back here to leave you a link to a blog with some interesting upcycled stuff I suspect you'd like for your garden? www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll look it up, cheers MG. I do love a mooch around the stratosphere especially as that is the only safe place these days...

      LX

      Delete
  5. Perhaps the Odd Sock Monster has eaten the other one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He never find us in this quiet backwater.

      LX

      Delete
  6. Disappointing! It looked to my eyes like a discarded silky stocking, I could have come up with a few interesting stories for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh err, you and me both Elaine! Our suspenders are all a quiver at the thought?

      LX

      Delete
  7. Through my eyes I see a Nylon and not a sock, socks are made from wool and not nylon and also it looks to be a stocking, a ladies stocking! If you could take an other look and let me know what "it" really is? The origin of this sock/stocking we may never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sock sadly not a nylon stocking which let’s face it would have been far more interesting!

      LX

      Delete
  8. I think you and Elaine should collaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are long standing blogging chums Joanne so ‘sort of’ know how each tick?

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...