..

Wednesday 4 November 2020

She foxtrots in the arms of...

 Morphia, slowly, smoothly she glides on a cloud, pain a mere bagatelle very much taking a back row seat.  The tempo increases as from the dark sidelines in swoops Dr Diarrhoea.  Morphia’s power fades as the rumba intensity fires up.  If only it was the Trompette mushroom she had for her tea?  Sadly not even in this febrile of times... tummy ache of a global kind.  The shit hitting the fan!

This is where we’re at in the rapidly diminishing world of Audrey.

I have promised her I won’t phone. She is one hell of a strong woman battling her internal demons by way of a fading 96 year old body.

A few weeks ago she had a bad fall injuring her back, taken to hospital after a couple of days there, she was sent home with Morphia as a companion.  When I heard my heart sank, her back pain was kept at bay in equal measure to her reliance of her new bestie.  Audrey’s confusion and antagonism grew as daily she battled her two demons Morphia And Dr. D.  From afar I am powerless to help.  She is cared for by two neighbours and chums with the patience of Job.

She FaceTimed me yesterday the decline in her sharp intellect was scary in its intensity.  Our ‘mother’/daughter relationship has gone up a gear.  

I said 'I will go and tell Steve when you die!’

‘I have told him to expect you!’ She said between her rambling repetitions...



8 comments:

  1. Oh dear, sorry to hear things are deteriorating there. It's very difficult to remain upbeat isn't it. This is very much a case of you don't know what to wish for. Sending you hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MG. No news recently, all quiet...

      LX

      Delete
  2. Sending hugs ((0)). She is a cracker though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely she is one helluva girl...

      LX

      Delete
  3. We know what it is like to worry about the elderly parents.
    Last week Glenn's mom 97 years old living on her own, fell and broke her hip. she was taken to the hospital an has been operated on. She is doing very well, loving all the attention she is getting. After rehab she will be able to go back home, some home care is being arranged for her....
    You never know how much strength Audrey has, she may still be able to celebrate her 100's birthday!
    You are worried for years about her, I understand that! Just know, she has very good people taking care of her, this should put your mind at ease.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my fear, Audrey will fall and break a hip, that I thought would be th end. Although from what you say maybe not?

      LX

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry, for both of you, and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, Audrey is a one though, she will only ‘go’ when the time is right for her...

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...