..

Monday 27 January 2020

Grain sacks...

there is a shop that I absolutely love in Ludlow.  The husband calls it the dangerous shop, for obvious reasons!
A few months ago I bought this lovely rough French grain sack which we have covering a bolster on our bed.  It cost £18.  Yesterday I nipped in to get another one for its twin languishing in the garden room totally to its shame without a stitch to cover itself. To my amazement the price has shot up to £30 added to which the sack was completely plain.  Disgruntled I marched down the hill not dissimilar to the ‘Grand’ old Duke of York!?!
As the Sunday afternoon sloth crept ever-so slowly across my body, a bolt of lightning struck me fair between the eyes...
What about those towels you bought  in Hastings old town, fresh off a cruise ship of the ilk of the Titanic?  They are thick, not slubby admittedly but interesting all the same. I peeled myself out of the horizontal position I am to be found in most Sunday afternoons and marched smartly (the Duke would be proud!?!) up to the garden room.  To give you some idea of the determination that fired out of t’old lass I even turned the central heating on.  If that wasn’t a clear indication of intent I don’t know what is?
Rummaging through the tower of boxes I eventually cornered my quarry.  Kicking and screaming they were loathe to leave their cosy winter hibernation.  The bolster was laid on the sofa, the towels offered up... Bingo!  Cracked it!  The ironing board came out, blooming unheard of on a Sunday and off we went looking for all the world like a character out of a 19th century folk song...

#Dashing away with the smoothing 
iron, she stole my heart away#

Sewing machine next; good to know the slumbering crafting person hasn’t totally given up the ghost?

Today, Monday morning will see the job finished before I set off to do my stint at the hospital.



Progress so far, more pictures to follow...



Top cushion cover  £4
Bottom cushion cover  £18
 No contest... alright the French one has a tad more panache, however a good job done and quids in!


7 comments:

  1. Well done you. Don't you just hate it when you buy one thingand then later think I should have bought the other one and then its either gone or as you found, gone hugely up in price! I think your shop may be owned by pirates! That is one large price hike! Good job, I look forward to seeing the finished item! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving the finished items. Looking good. You'll have the place shipshape before you know it! x

      Delete
  2. Don't know the Duke of York. I thought it was the King of France and 40,000 men who marched down the hill.
    I do love the bolster covers, and especially the one with the red stripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the same, different names. Glad you like my home made bolster cover, it is a tight weave than your superb towels, which even now I haven’t used for fear of spoiling them.

      LX

      Delete
  3. When you are up you are up! Brilliant job there, LL. Now that you have saved so much money, what are you going to treat yourself to?

    (Joanne's cloths are made to be used - I have had some in use for the last few years, they just get better and better. Favourite tea towels ever!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wish I was on a crafting up Elaine. As you might just about be able to see the garden room in the photographs is just about sorted. On my desk that overlooks the garden I have paints and pens of rainbow hues and very little talent to put them to good use, so I play and chuck away. Not the best way to see if progress is being made I agree!

      I will take your advice and start using Joanne’s super-duper tea towels.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...