..

Thursday 9 January 2020

The sap is...

rising!  I blame it on the mild weather.  I am getting all horticulturally hyper.  I even popped a note into the door of the main allotment man to jolly him along about my name on the waiting list.  The next cunning plan is a little light bribery and corruption.  I’m not proud!  Every day as I steam up the hill past his door I slow up, it isn’t the fact I am struggling for breath you understand?  It is in order to waylay him as he opens his front door.  Until today, no luck.  Decisive action was so obviously required.  A funky fetching postcard was chosen, my enquiry/requirements were carefully crafted without being too OTT.  It is Ludlow after all!
After popping it in his door, Ellie and I then set off on our walk across to the other side of the River Teme where I sit and look across at the allotments and plan which one I really, really want.  Husband said, when I told him of my proposal, Stan will think you as pushy as the lady who lived here before!  As if!?!

We walked, I sat and dreamed, planned and schemed, then blow me if on the return home there he was.  I told him of husband’s remark, his reply was it was good to have someone as keen as me.  And it looks like I might be getting ever nearer to the top as people ahead of me have fallen by the wayside and someone has given notice.  Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I am getting sorted in my sweet little garden which with its many arches looks for all the world like it is in direct competition with the railway arches under London Bridge  station.  One has bitten the dust already; in the picture there are two ghastly cheapo metal ones which I would really like replaced with a Andrew Gormley masterpiece flying across the garden like a cantilever on crack!




8 comments:

  1. Nope I'm still in full on winter mode. I have many many things I should be doing in the garden to tidy it up but you'd have to pay me large sums of money to get me out there just now! I hope you get your allotment soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh... you are a lotus-eater MG. You stay true to your mantra of ...
      Couch Potatoes RUs. ‘Pass me another biccie!’ I hear you cry! The allotment... I want NOW! Nuff said?

      Happy days

      LX

      Delete
  2. Putting down roots... literally!
    Good luck with the allotment..I miss mine. Little and often when you get one.
    I see what you mean about those arches..they definitely have to go...not big enough to easily walk through or grow something decent over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, putting down roots; trouble is I am not very good at waiting. The arches are awful, my plan is to span across the garden with a funky wooden one, making two distant outside rooms. The clematis either side will scramble together making a lovely feature of a conversation-piece of beauty. Although I can see that over time the arch will be covered, perhaps making the investment questionable!?!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Ah, yes, what is art? You did so well with the allotment, you should ask the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m getting twitchy with anticipation Joanne. I want us to dig a pond in the garden, don’t want to dig up the plants until I have somewhere safe to put them, as I have to keep reminding myself, it is only mid January. I have also found the most wonderful arch maker, trouble is the cost! Style it would appear doesn’t come cheap, And as I have so little natural ability, ideas aplenty though, you have to pay top dollar for those who do!

      LX

      Delete
  4. Allotments are hard work, have you got enough old carpets to smother weeds and a safe place to lock up your tools? But hoping you will have many happy hours nurturing your vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived off the land in the Highlands, alright it was a while ago (?), so I do know the hard graft of tilling the soil. This ‘spade’ of allotments is directly opposite where we live, so not far to commute. I am already planning a greenhouse and maybe a shed, who knows I might be lucky to get one in situ on ‘my’ plot? Thanks for the thought Thelma.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...