..

Wednesday 29 April 2020

Clematis Cottage...

regular readers will know the problems I had walking this cast iron grille home, it weighed a frigging ton.  A wag of a friend described it as crowd control for the masses at a Victorian football ground!  Bloody cheek!  Right,  but  hurtful for all that!



When I spied it this was maybe at the back of my mind as to a possible use for it?  Far better than those naff cheapo metal arches that were a feature of this otherwise pretty little garden.  They bit the dust in short order, I’m nothing if not decisive?  Anyway what to put in their place?
The obelisks... obv!


This clematis is loving its new home as is the one adorning Clematis Cottage.  This is Ellie’s go to hidey-hole when she remembers she is a nervous collie, thankfully not often these days.  Now she retires to her bijou cottage to have a break from these tiresome human beings.


The Wrenery where the frenetic gathering of seeds, nuts and mealworms goes on at a pace as the birds have chicks to feed.


This is taken looking down from beside the greenhouse in the garden.  All terribly confusing!


This last photo is from my armchair.  The Wrenery was the thing that sold me on the cottage, an outside space, but not?
The tree fern loves it in there, I have two pots of Wiltshire ripple sweet peas, just about to get cracking, pots of palms and ferns all of whom seem to find it to their liking.  The birds feel safe, although not the pigeon who strolled in as we were having supper last night.  SAS-like I slithered across the floor from the kitchen through the jungle of the Orangery, popping up making a helluva hullabaloo and quite gave it a fright.  It bounced off the glass ceiling then flew off with I am sure a hangover?   I make no excuses... yes I am prejudiced!

A passing hedgehog called last year to hoover up the fallen seeds   so with the exception of flaming pigeons a nature reserve to equal any that the gaming John Aspinall had to offer!

9 comments:

  1. Oh how I'd love to have seen you crawl along to chase the pigeon! Do you remember Whacky Races on tv? The tune of stop the pigeon comes to mind lol. I once rescued a pigeon with a lot of wire tied round its poor sore foot. It hobbled about our garden and I felt so sorry for it so we laid a trail of seed towards the open rabbit hutch (the children had a rabbit - it was a while ago!) and trapped it inside then I wrapped it in a towel and brought it in the house where hubby set about the wire with some cutters. We got him sorted and off he flew only to return every day after that looking for food! Once he started bringing all his relatives with him we sent him packing lol.
    I love your wrenery, I think it would have sold the cottage to me too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Wrenery, with not much else to do we sit and watch the birds going potty rushing in gathering food for their young. Already today I have topped everything up twice today.

      The pigeon certainly got the mark of you two, however like you I would have hated to see one in trouble. I would have freed it from its problem and sent it packing there and then, not waited until the word from Glasgow to Trafalgar Square was... there’s a good gaff at yours. ‘’Problem there is they don’t wear PPE when dealing with our health problems so we could potentially be in line for one of their strange diseases? We wouldn’t mind so much but already we share their love of junk food! In the old days we were happy with corn, not anymore Macdonalds or nothing!’

      LX

      Delete
  2. Lettice, Your little garden looks like an Oasis, lots of green with specks of colour, very cozy! I'm eager to see what's happening in that new Greenhouse of yours anything sprouting yet???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been taking pictures for Audrey so she can see how things are progressing in the garden, she is 95 and is very vulnerable, so never sees anyone or goes anywhere. This is her way to travel to Shropshire. Bluebell pictures taken yesterday for her today. My rather long winded way of saying I will be featuring the things growing in the greenhouse maybe today!

      LX

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. A lovely inside outside corner.
    Yes, a dog has to have a break sometimes...just like humans x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a special space, the birds love the security it brings. Ellie does look comical in her house, when the clematis grows she will have total privacy and appointments only by prior arrangement as any discerning collie would insist upon.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...