..

Tuesday 28 April 2020

‘Best we get...

up, we haven’t got all day you know!’
I wondered why he fell out of bed laughing?
Just a flavour of the start of our lockdown day.
It’s tipping with rain today:
my plans of sorting out my clothes are now very firmly in the frame, put another way...
no blooming excuse now not to.
Whether that means that it will get done is a moot point. (It’s the end of another ‘busy’ day and the clothes still haven’t been done!)  I do seem to have made an art form of appearing dynamical and doing absolutely nowt!  I have been too busy even to meditate, which let’s face it would be the ideal thing to calm and soothe.

We have just spent an hour this morning talking about the next improvement to our forever home.  We have been living in Ludlow a year now and still lots of dreams and schemes rattle through my head.
The next plan is to turn what we call Ellie’s bedroom into a kitchen/snug with a gas fired Rayburn.  The one thing that cries out for a Rayburn is this collapsed fireplace which in its day had an old cast iron range.  


Whether it is still there is hard to work out without taking the boarding at the front off.   The chimney we know has been knobbled, so no open fires there then, and certainly no flue for a stove.

This room as you can see is a suppository, yes, I know it should repository, however I think suppository suits it better because everything gets bunged in here!

The one thing I have decided is that all future plans will be well thought through.  If anything the ghastly/costly bathroom has taught us is to not listen to the experts; have what YOU want not want they recommend unless it suits your particular needs.
A definite time for reflection and no flying by the seat of my big pink bloomers which over the years I have perfected into a LL speciality!

10 comments:

  1. I learned the lesson a while ago, although it sometimes still slips! About a million years ago we came to this house which had two bedrooms. We already had two different sex children and another on the way so we decided to convert the attic into two further rooms. All good except we needed an architect to draw up our plans for us. Nope, we couldn't have dormer windows out front, no precedent in the street, nope we couldn't have an upstairs toilet, not enough head room. It might be indicitive of my lack of observation, but just about 500 yards up the road from us are a small group of semi bungalows, very similar to ours but all with dormer windows at the front! Those houses were there before ours, why on earth did I not remember or even notice that at the time?! Not to mention, if we had been able to rearrange the two rooms a bit, we very much could have found enough headroom for the toilet! I regret all the time not fighting the architect at the time. At the moment our project is that hubby is building a laundry room/cupboard in our spare room. He has a very fixed idea in his head of how it will look, I on the other hand have a very fixed idea of how I'd like it to look and we're not quite on the same page!! I think if it wasn't happening in lockdown, I might 'fight' a bit harder to get my vision in place but there's a large part of me at the moment thinking 'who cares, as long as I can do laundry what do I care how it looks'. It's nice to plan though isn't it. Just to rub some salt in the wound, I had a lovely long bath this morning to try to ease my very sore back. I'm getting too old for all this gardening lark!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself walked by and as he glanced at me reading your comment said
      ‘I bet that’s Marksgran!’

      On the same page? Was it ever thus that a husband and wife were on the same page? Err... not in this house nor I suspect yours?

      You hussy... a bath was it? Next you’ll be telling me your soak was accompanied by candles and wine?

      LX

      Delete
  2. A year already!
    Good to have time to work through plans properly.
    I was glad to see the rain today..apart from arriving as I was about to hang the washing out!
    The garden needs it...and we need to turn our attention to indoors jobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... one year last Saturday, how the time flies?

      The garden certainly does need it, although I am perishing cold at the mo. This balmy weather has got me in summer mindset... wrong!

      LX

      Delete
  3. 22 years ago we purchased our forever home, the last remodel was the upstairs bathroom, it is very small but the cost was like you said ghastly costly! Me husband literly rebuild the whole house and added an addition to it as well.
    One needs to Take time to plan and not rush into it. Mistakes are sometimes very costly! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t agree more and what is more I always crack on about living in a house a year to get the feel of what is required, then I only go and NOT take my own very sage advice! Says it all really!?!

      LX

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes it is gorgeous, I found it in a charity shop in Rye. Unlike you I haven’t got my wall of pictures up yet, I have them all over the show, not at all considered and grouped as yours are. Like you, I do love buying pictures and gracing the house for a few pounds with flowers. In troubled times standards must be maintained.

      LXX

      Delete
  5. I look forward to all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that’s the case Joanne this lockdown must be affecting your judgement, if my wrackerty ideas float your boat! You must get out more lassie! If only says Joanne!

      LXX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...