..

Saturday 22 February 2020

Six months to...

get here! 



Ellie has at last deigned to sit on the husband’s lap!


As you can see she isn’t 100% sure even now!

Right from the go get we knew she had a problem with men.  For a good few months she wouldn’t come in if he called, she is still at the end of the day very twitchy.  I have to call her in and as we say good night to her she looks past me to him with fear in her eyes.
What the hell has happened to her in her former life doesn’t bear thinking about.  
***
 Lettice my other rescue collie, I once said I would love in order to help me understand, for her to tell me just what had happened in her first six months of life?  
My then man Simon replied...
You wouldn’t! 
He was so right!

Simon died at home. We three were together.  What a comfort to have Lettice there.  As I moistened his lips and recounted all the wonderful times we had in the woods silent with snow, and the fun times we had shared; he
opened his eyes and let go.  Taking with him I like to think the memories that I had recreated for him to take on his journey into the unknown.  As it was very early in the morning, five-ish, I decided to wait for the district nurse to make her first visit of the day.  I lifted Lettice up to allow her to sniff him, from that moment on she knew he was dead and never looked for him coming home from work.
Some might say it is like telling the bees of a death in the family.  I do know that it was a strange but somehow peaceful and uplifting experience.  Simon was a true Christian and believed he was going on the better things, I hope he was right!



4 comments:

  1. Ellie is getting there..she might still not be keen on men, but he will probably be accepted as Hers!
    Animals just know...they still seem to have the senses that we no longer generally use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is: it is slow but worth every gentle step of the way. I totally agree with you about animals innate sense of life... us humans could perhaps look and learn, be accepting of the journey we are all on.

      LX

      Delete
  2. Yes, animals' sensibilities are so different than ours, so sharp and quick and perceptive.

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...