..

Thursday 4 June 2020

Lockdown tales from

Ludlow.

We saw Halibut for the first time since all this began.
Wot?
Let me explain...
Most days when walking in the woods we would see an old guy walking alone.  Each time we passed we would say good morning, until one day I stopped to chat... remember those carefree days?  We then would often stop for more than a quick good day type of greeting.
Husband would often say I wonder if we will meet Halibut.  Either not listening or me being my usual slow on the uptake it took me a while to twig exactly what he called him.  Until one day I decided in my kindly trained counselling way to enquire as to the name change?
When I worked in Brixton(now there’s a line?) the black community would often have a problem pronouncing the name Albert... the extra syllable would make it sounded like Halibut.
So there I had it.
Over the weeks, we had hoped he and his wife were okay.  Seeing him yesterday we discovered that yes indeed they were both safe and well.

The hedgehog still comes each night to feast on mealworms with a little appetiser of pecans or hazelnuts.  I am seriously thinking of putting a hedgehog sign outside to make the drivers (when they return?) aware of the quality of residents we have in this sleepy backwater of Ludlow.

Pigeongate is going up a gear.
Lettice 1  Pigeons 0
first round.
On coming back from a walk, I walked in to find a flapping pigeon looking to get out of the Wrenery in a rush.  Panicking it flapped up to the glass ceiling, not seeing the three open sides.  when it did, it promptly flew into the sides of the greenhouse!
Lettice  0.5  Pigeon  0.5
second round.

Yesterday before we went out I had the forethought to lean the black large feather duster right up against the hanging mealworm feeder.  Looking for all the world like Darth Vader standing inside on guard.
Arriving home I said to the man, I will go on ahead as advance party,  sliding away on my tum I SAS style approached the property.
Stealthily I opened the two gates and the front door without making a sound. Tip-toeing in I peered out... all good so far, no sign of a pigeon.  
‘Good work DV!’
I said as I tapped him on the shoulder, well I would have done if he’d had any shoulders, being a skinny long pole it was a slight problem... just use you imagination here... okay?

Stepping out to secure the field of battle I peered smugly into the hanging feeder to see not one 
f**king (excuse the language, it isn’t me it is my SAS identity!) mealworm.  The bugger had only scoffed the lot.
Pigeon 1  Lettice  0


8 comments:

  1. Good to know that people are ok, even a fleeting acquaintance.

    Pigeons are obviously not that daft!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Halibut and his wife are well thankfully. Pigeons... ditto, thanks to bellyfuls of the garden birds mealworms!

      LX

      Delete
  2. I gave my neighbour our old cds to hang in his garden to keep away foxes and pigeons! He seems to think it works. With your creative skills (not to mention your imagination!) I'm sure you could come up with some sort of wind chimy thingy! (On thinking this through I'm not sure if it might also scare away the little birds too - darn it!) Glad to hear Halibut and his mrs are doing well. You need to be careful with renaming people - there's a lady here with a very snappy, yappy mini rat/dog and I started telling hubby I'd seen Narky while out. The dog's name is actually Finn but one time I met her and almost asked her how Narky was instead of Finn!! Close shave lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is the problem, scaring off ones we want to encourage. Husband did actually say ‘Hello Yapper,’ to our neighbour’s dog. He did then go on in his very diplomatic way to say that we were hacked off with it’s barking. They have taken notice of what he said and control it far better now! If it had been me in my take no prisoners direct way they probably would have poked it with a stick to set it off, just to spite me! You probably haven’t noticed but I do seem to have a way with words?

      LX

      Delete
  3. I hope things improve soon, for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this is the worst of my problems then I am one helluva lucky girl.

      Stay safe in these troubled times.

      LX

      Delete
  4. F used to keep the pigeons off our hanging feeders by using big mesh hanging basket frames turned upside down over the feeder (used the little chains and hooks that came with the basket to rig it up). The pigeons could land on the outside but couldn't get through or under, and the whole thing would swing sideways when they tried. Little birds could go straight through and used the frame as a queuing system of perches. I suppose if the pigeons got acrobatic you could join two baskets together in a ball shape with the feeder on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made me laugh...the thought of you SAS style ! Re meal worms.....we have got a robin nesting inside our shed at the bottom of the garden. I had put a little bowl of mealworms on the bench for her and after a couple of days they were disappearing regularly, but I had a thought yesterday that it might not be her eating them....maybe mice, rats, even the fox. ( or bloody pigeons!!!) So yesterday the OH put the motion camera thingy in the shed to hopefully see what is doing the scoffing! Will find out later.

    ReplyDelete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...