..

Friday 3 July 2020

My lovely dad...

 was born on on the 3 July 1920
he would have been 100 years old today.  Sadly he died suddenly alone at home in 1990.


This is us on the beach in 
Le Touquet.  A holiday I shall never forget for two reasons, the first and most traumatic was me getting lost.  The beach had rows of the tents you can see in the photo of me looking very pleased with myself!



 I had wandered down to the sea and obviously unknowingly paddled along the seashore.  Coming back up the beach where I thought they were... they had gone?  I kept calm until I went up to a family and said 
‘I’m lost!’
Their reply in French obviously tipped me over the edge from being very, very brave to being very, very afraid.
I started to cry.
I was taken to the Life Guards hut on the beach and waited until my father rushed up looking as upset as I obviously was!

Safely reunited with my mum and dad, calm was restored.

 My other abiding memory of that day was the shame of mum making me wear a vest under my cozzie.  The swimsuit I remember so well it was a green knitted fabric which I hated with a passion...
even at five going on fifteen I classed myself as a style icon!?!



Dad with my grandmother and who the other lady clad in fur was, 
I have no idea?

Happy 100th birthday Dad!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad was young when he died.
    We just don't know how much time a person has on this great earth?!
    Lettice, you mast have been about 4 years old in those pictures, a spitting image of your Mom...chin, nose and mouth....Getting lost... what a frightening experience, poor child! I never got lost in my life but for many years now I been dreaming about it, waking up in a panic. I never find my way back home in those dreams, no matter how hard I try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting dreams, wonder what a dreamologist would make of them? I have so many memories of that holiday, and yes I probably was four.

      LX

      Delete
  3. Even younger than my dad who went at nearly 75..
    We miss them more than we realise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t we just! I have so many regrets around him being alone when he died.

      LX

      Delete
  4. Amazing memories of a lovely day - apart from the getting lost bit. How you and your dad must have panicked. How do you spell panic (ed)!! I don't remember anything much of my childhood until I was about 6 or 7. Although, stangely when I lost my hair to chemo I discovered a scar on the back of my head which I have no memory of getting. I asked my mum about it and she said that's from when you fell and hit your head on the fireplace. Aha, said hubby, that's probably why you're terrified of fire, maybe you weren't burned as a witch in a previous life after all!! This is what I've to put up with lol. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose me being an only child was instrumental in my remembering so much of my childhood?

      Made me laugh about your maybe past life... you and me both kid!

      LX

      Delete
  5. Having the presence of mind to say "I'm lost" is impressive. Probably your dad told you when and how to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve no idea? It is funny the things that you remember from so long ago. On that holiday there are so many I could write a blog post on just that holiday... hang on a mo... I already have!

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...