..

Sunday 15 November 2020

I have a dress...

a beautiful, beautiful dress; to call it a frock would be to denigrate it.  From the day I bought it probably the the most expensive dress I have ever bought it hasn’t earned its keep.  Like so many items of apparel it was bought with a special occasion in mind.  I wore it there and strange to say even with the amount paid it didn’t deliver.  I never really felt comfortable wearing it. I ought to say to my shame I only ever wore it the once.  I decided the parting of ways had arrived... not least because where the hell would I ever wear such a magnificent ‘gown’?

Sell, sell, sell!

From the back of the wardrobe I got it out, I tried it on. The funny thing was suddenly I felt happier wearing it.  Should I sell?  Yes, I think I will.  Hanging it up to photograph it for eBay, horror of horrors I spied a mark on the front, yes a canteen medal!  The dress is made of wonderful ruched silk velvet.  How to get out a mark smack in the middle of the front?

Sadly back to the drawing board?  And the back of the wardrobe...





9 comments:

  1. I was hoping to see a photo of this magnificent dress that made you feel happy when you tried it on recently. Oh dear, a mark right in the middle of the front. Could a dry cleaners have a solution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will photograph it today and show you. The main problem, even without the mark I have nowhere to wear it. In the past I never worried about being a tad OTT, now I’m not so sure. Dry Cleaners are worth a try when they reopen, at the very least they will know if it’s doable?

      LX

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should photograph the dress for posterity. I am no expert on spot removal. If you figure out a way to remove the spot, you should post it for us. I don't have a velvet dress, but perhaps, one day, I will get one. And get a mark on it. And then say, You know, Lettice will know to fix this... One never knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it is, not a good photograph I am afraid, however enough for you to get a hint of the problem?

      LX

      Delete
  4. I am the go to person here for stain removal but you would need to have an idea of what caused the stain ie, is it greasy? If you think its grease based I know a wonderful product called Dr Beckman stain removal
    www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Beckmann-Devils-Cooking-Remover/
    So far I've had 100% success removing greasy marks from all sorts of materials using this. It's a liquid you pour on before laundering. If you don't want to wash the dress you could put some of this on, then just wash that little part. If you want to sell it its probably worth trying. Either that or leave it to the dry cleaners though they will probably want to know what made the stain too! Or, you could wear it with a jumper over it and pretend its just a skirt, then you could get lots of wear out of it!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the second time of trying... never, ever would I put a jumper over it. I wore it to a posie Am Dram Twelfth Night dinner. I guess the offending stain on my hitherto ‘good’ character was grease: a gong on my Brunhilde-size bozoom awarded me from the ancient order of the Knights of Bisto. I have considered covering the stain on my hitherto good character with a cameo brooch depicting a damsel grappling with a Phoenix emerging from the flames... well that or my Blue Peter badge, all in order to camouflage the offending mark. As I am Billy No Mates I won’t be going anywhere, anytime soon... so best get over it...

      LX

      Delete
  5. What a lovely dress... also very elegant! I have to stay away from sleeveless dresses now, at my age I have to cover up as much as possible...not fair! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On closer inspection the stain is worse than I first thought, what a waste of a beautiful dress. Back to the drawing board.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...