..

Thursday 25 July 2019

How is it...

that some folk you meet look so glossy, polished and clean?
They positively sparkle with skin glowing, clothes bandbox smart, neat as a pin and good to go!  You stand before them and stare taking in the clean newly pressed collar without the merest hint of a grime line. Shirt ironed to perfection, trousers pressed and brushed to within an inch of their lives.
Women who have a beautiful natural coiffured hairstyle without the merest hint of
Trumpesque wind tunnel defying Elnet firm hold.  Linen dresses that wouldn’t be so bold as to do the very common thing linen always does... crease! 
Tanned smooth legs devoid of the merest sensation of a hair.  Upper arms that are well honed and used to cracking walnuts between fore arm and upper, a daily workout no self respecting paragon would ever think of passing on!
Looking you over their bright 
miss-nothing eyes take in the vision that is you. Lingering over the tie dye dress you bought in Chang Mia in the early noughties and have worn without fail every summer since. You love it: the fact the bleach used to make the pattern has eaten into the fabric is a mere bagatelle.  The canteen medals of bygone meals over the intervening years have never quite washed away.  Their very faint but oily presence just completes the bag lady persona that you have without realising it become.



Me in the garden in Goudhurst 24 July, 2012 knocking out the odd blog.  As I sit here now I am wearing the same dress...




5 comments:

  1. Lucky you to still fit into a dress from 2012! My middle has spread a bit since then and the boobs have made a dive south! I used to see a mum at playgroup who looked exactly as you described, I so envied her ability to look so groomed so early in the morning (I never looked that groomed no matter what time of day) She was a nice lady but I never got to know her well. Fast forward lots of years and I spotted a lady in a local shop who looked exactly like her, except for the bag lady look and straw like dyed blonde hair. The lady I knew had jet black glossy hair in a bob. On closer and slightly stalkerish inspection, I realised it was indeed the lady from playgroup. What happened I wondered. The area I live in is very village like, though not one, but everyone knows someone and everyone seems to live here forever, so I set about finding out more and turns out she dressed like she did for her husband who then buggered off and left her anyway when he wanted a newer shinier version so she became herself again! Nice one! I only hope my husband likes the bag lady look cos I've got it down to a fine art now lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do make me laugh MG... love ‘stalkerish’, a word that isn’t a true word but sums it up so well! A good job I’ve got you as a commentator as no one else can be bothered much. And talking of commentators, now that wacky man whose name escapes me has died you could always take up the mantle, as it were!?! Love the mench about your hubs, bet he loves you to bits, and rightly so!

      LXX

      Delete
  2. There's nothing wrong with old comfortable favourites. In my wardrobe now are clothes which I had at the turn of the century, lol and I still wear them. They are still loved and surprisingly, because I've put on a bit of weight, they still fit.

    As long as I am clean and presentable that's all I care about. Well-behaved hair is another thing though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn’t agree more. Some clothes you buy you just know are going to be a part of your life for a good long time, others although look alright never reach that hallowed state. What’s the difference? Comfort I suppose? Well behaved hair is another thing, all my life I’ve wanted straight swingy hair, beautifully cut and well behaved. What life has given me is curly hair that has a mind of its own. My second choice was the pulled through a hedge backwards look, a look I seem to have at last achieved... for all the wrong reasons...

      LX

      Delete
    2. I won't bore you with the lengths I went to to try and get straight hair like Cilla Black and Cathy McGowan. Now my hair doesn't look so wild, but that's only because it's thinner, lol.

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...