..

Saturday 27 July 2019

We have a better...

calibre of bag lady in Ludlow and no I don’t mean me!?!
Just yesterday walking into town a rather large bott was facing up to the sky, clad in  taupe linen dungarees with acres of white skin showing underneath.  Her head was firmly in the rubbish bin, now whether it is because Ludlow is such a happening town the refuse is of a higher quality I really couldn’t say!
As I passed by I wondered what was she doing as she definitely didn’t look like a bona fide tramp?
A couple of years ago in Canterbury sitting outside a restaurant I spied a slim elegant, (well to say elegant wasn’t strictly true, elegant in my mind.  Which in itself is questionable?) woman pushing a bicycle. She was a vision completely and utterly in her own sweet world.  She stopped and from the many bags adorning her bike she got out a pair of shoes which she tried on, admiring them as she turned her foot this way and that!  Her hair was powdered, yes powdered with what looked like the contents of a box of Fred’s finest Homepride flour.  She was adorned with jewellery of every colour and bling.  I walked up to her and said how much I admired her style, which I honestly did.  She obviously wasn’t used to being spoken to, as she stood looking at me in the same funny way that I had looked at her. On reflection we must have looked strange two odd woman gazing into each other’s eyes.  Hubs, meanwhile looked on as only husbands can! On closer inspection she had gold chipped nail polish and was made up to the nines, well eight and a halfs.  Alice Cooper would have been proud.
I carried on chatting not caring that I wasn’t eliciting any response.  As I said goodbye she did grunt in a positive way!

On getting home, I routelled out my much loved gold nail varnish and some tiny white stars on fine wire, which I suggested would look good threaded through her hair. Some other odds and ends I thought she might like and sent them with a message to the sorting office in Canterbury to deliver to the lady with the bike in Canterbury.  With an accompanying fan letter.
I never got a reply, nor did I expect one.



4 comments:

  1. I feel the pressure to comment now!! Only kidding! Have you noticed I like exclamation marks?!! lol. I really came on to say: I love people who have a 'style'. I love to see people who dress exactly the way they want regardless of comments. For example I love the style of Angel Strawbridge in Escape to the Chateau. Do you watch it? I just love that she has the confidence to dress up exactly as she loves every day, false eyelashes and all. I'm what I regard as a lazy dresser. Its more about comfort and ease than style! (more of those em's I can't help myself) Can I also say that I admire the way you are able to talk to anyone and not feel self conscious about it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exclamation marks R Us MG! If you don’t comment I would still do it, so no pressure... on the other hand !?!

      Angela Strawbridge is a Marmite figure, although she does tend to grate on me, like you I admire her not giving a fig. There is a fine line between not giving a flying frog about your style and when it tips over into being too contrived. Comfort is key and being happy in your own skin, a state I am at constant war with.

      All my life I have never been afraid to talk to anyone and everyone, getting me into trouble more times than I care to mention. Over the years I have been unwittingly like the Pied Piper of Hamlin having an odd assortment of followers, not always savoury I hasten to add! Present company accepted NATURALLY!?! I blame it on my parents making me an only child... I’m endlessly fascinated by family dynamics and always have been. This I think makes me foolhardly brave... maybe? Onwards like a cow catcher on the front of a train in the mid west, mowing down all in my path one way or t’other!

      LX



      Delete
  2. Having had a home in Brighton since the 80's (I hardly ever go there), we are used to 'eccentrics'; we refer to them as The Happy Circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am sure they are Cro, my admiration for them knows no bounds.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...