..

Saturday 21 December 2019

Day in the...

 life of Ellie, new to the parish of Ludlow.


I’m pushing back the fear boundaries with the help of my human mum and dad.  They will insist on calling themselves my mum and dad, personally I haven’t the heart to tell them of my true parentage.  It is something I would prefer to forget.  The fear even when I am trying to be very brave does creep back.  Out of nowhere I am transported back to this time last year when I was just four months old.  Shut in a barn, full of fun, but afraid to show it.  Life then was a far cry from what it is now.

Today my mum, and that is how I now see her, decided I was to push back a few more boundaries in my quest(more accurately her quest)for me to meet even more of the higher echelons of Ludlow society.  To this end we walked through the busy, bustling market, I don’t mind telling you at Christmas it is busy!  Even though I didn’t really like it I was trying very hard to put my best paw forward and not let the fear show.  I did meet lots of other dogs who didn’t seem in the slightest bit fazed.  After a few friendly introductions of bum sniffing I began to feel a tad more chilled.  Well that was until she who knows about these things decided my artistical genes needed to be put to the test.  With style and panache she smartly stepped into an art gallery, only expecting me and dad to follow suit.  I don’t know who was the more discombobulated... me or him?
He, I think was worrying about his wallet, me well surely she knows I’m only a mutt from a farm in Ireland so what honestly does she think I will get out of art?  We patiently waited while she swept around like a latter day Brian Sewell pretending she is knowledgable?  Out of there, once again trolling through the market stopping to say hello to a busker’s dog.  Sniffing his nether regions was definitely discouraged in case he had fleas, to me he was friendly enough, fleas notwithstanding.  Next test, they only took me to the fishmongers to say hello, mind you, they have been saving all the fish skin for mum to dry off in the oven as a wholesome treat for me.  I did try to be fearless with the lady that rushed out to say hello.  I think the overpowering smell of fish about her person put me at ease, I did just manage to graciously accept a dog treat from her although I would have much preferred a slice of wild smoked salmon.

10 comments:

  1. Well done you.You are doing a brill job..I am in the fan club!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting there and a joy it is to see. Off out again this morning to the market then around the castle walls where Ellie is allowed off the lead. Down to the Green cafe beside the river Teme, for the best coffee in Ludlow then off to the woods. The pastry is made and relaxing in the fridge, mince pie making this afternoon, after maybe a lunchtime trip to the pub?

      LX

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Great progress on all fronts, I just knew she would one day be a big brave dog, not there yet but on way!

      LX

      Delete
  3. Well, good dog. You have come miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the miles we have walked has been good for the waistline as well as confidence boosting for Ellie.

      LX

      Delete
  4. She is a little beauty. She may not have been easy, but so worth the hard work you have all put in. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am for you, but happy I am!

    (The expression in those eyes is the same as in Toby Too's, happy, but they have seen the darker side of human nature.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day we gain a little more confidence, she is very happy passing people now in the woods, on a path beside the river, being greeted and having them coo over her. Walking through town can still be problematical depending on her state of mind sometimes a breeze others... get me outta here... Pubs and restaurants she just sits patiently under the table never fussing for a titbit, one chilled, cool dog. Ludlow is such a dog friendly town, dogs are actively encouraged just about everywhere, given treats as they go, all terribly civilised.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...