..

Sunday 29 December 2019

You are just not.going to...

 believe this?
Waiting in for a parcel to arrive from the dreaded Amazon, alright I do try and buy locally however I can on occasions be a retail tart and succumb to getting my heart’s desire like... yesterday before I even knew I wanted it nor even knew I couldn’t live without it!?!
If you get my drift on this you are a better woman than I?
Anyway I digress.  On the Sunday between Christmas and New Year I was surprised to be informed to expect a delivery, just two days after the order was placed.  I hadn’t even requested next day delivery.  In readiness for the book I was eagerly awaiting I had put a note beside the door to give to the delivery man in thanks of what must be an awful job at this busy time of year.
Standing at the door was a slip of a girl, beautifully made up with black raven wing false eyelashes, a jaunty bobble hat.  A total vision, not at all the usual delivery personage.  As I said thank you and went to give her the money she very politely and with thanks refused, saying we get well paid.  I tried in my usual subtle 
bully-boy tactics to overcome her refusal.  She was adamant: she very much appreciated the offer, wished me a happy new year and was on her way.
Well I don’t mind telling you my flabber has never been more gasted.


This is the book... Oh no!  I hear my regular three readers groan.
I’ve got it bad, even my son has now been indoctrinated by his old Mum... worrying?  
My sourdough starter like some strange deity is beginning to take 
over my life...Aaaaaaaaaaah!

Anyway, I can’t hang around chatting to you I have serious sourdough reading to do...

9 comments:

  1. Amazon is so good for books, especially getting 'used' ones. I cannot fathom what it is you still need to know about sourdough but I'm certain you are going to make delicious bread! I'm glad to hear the delivery person is well paid. I find most of the delivery people to be very pleasant and polite. We're on first name terms with the DPD driver who delivers the dog food! I look forward to seeing your new and improved bread soon! If only I could try some! How do you think it would travel?? lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are an enthusiast like what I am you are forever on the lookout for books on your particular sphere of interest. Already this evening my son and I have been talking sourdough via emails, sending photo’s of our latest offspring and comparing notes on the finer points of the newly hatched loaflets. Sad to say I have infected him with my passion for the force that is sourdough... this last word you must read very quietly and with awe in your voice... show some respect lassie!

      LXX

      Delete
  2. Good reading! Doesn't he contribute recipes to Guardian weekend mag sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly does and this book is such a good read... spoil yourself! I sort of get the feeling you know about sourdough and have practiced the dark, magical mystery that is this particular bread making caper?

      LX

      Delete
    2. I do when at home...it gets a bit interrupted by travelling

      Delete
  3. We have regular Amazon drivers here, in white vans, with uniformed women. That Jeff Bezos is the boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do applaud Amazon on its efficiency, the problem I have is the welfare of the, you Joanne I am sure will remember them... human beings that if what you hear is anything to go by, aren’t treated well. That and the shopkeepers trying to make a living paying vast taxes, sitting in their shops watching these blooming vans scoot past full of things they have on their shelves. I do feel guilty and try to patronise both. Greed is insidious and the NOW world we live in is blooming hard to resist.

      LX

      Delete
  4. I have one of his books - one of the few modern ones which I use. Most of the books I buy are old ones, I always check them out on abebooks, ebay, and amazon - find the best bargains. I also buy them from real shops now and again. So who makes the best loaf of sourdough then, you or your son? If you are having a celebration do tonight, then I hope you have a brilliant time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well need you ask Elaine... moi obv! The book is a beauty, when we moved I took so many of my cookery books to charity shops thinking quite wrongly that with the internet everything is at your finger tips, completely forgetting the joy of a real book. You will totally get it having read so much in your blog of the huge enjoyment you glean from old books. The tales they could tell...

      LXX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...