..

Saturday 20 June 2020

I don’t know whether....

I am coming or going?

After the mouldy old dough bread debacle, I made two loaves out of the same quantity of dough.  The idea was to freeze one making a total mockery of ‘fresh’ bread!
I stored the other in a bread bag and hung it on the dark cool cupboard door.  All good?
Or was it?  We have now scoffed the first one; weekend brekkie we grant ourselves two slices of toast each, weekdays one.  As I trog up the garden to get the second one out of the freezer, is the faff of making two worth it I idly wonder?

Last night, turning on the light in the Wrenery to put the dog out for her last minute expellations. 
We noticed that the lid of the hedgehog feeding station was lifting slightly.  On closer inspection we could see there 
were two inside.  No, no, it wasn’t what I first thought, although I did wonder whether they might bring the family along one night? 
Ellie strolls past without a second glance.  Yesterday a robin popped in to the Orangery to check us out,  watching it from her bed she was totally unconcerned.

The hedgehogs come to visit each night at the same time, I must say I have never seen a hedgehog wearing a watch, have you?

The question that is troubling me is how do hedgehogs tell the time?


 Hedgehog snoozing in my greenhouse in Goudhurst.  

7 comments:

  1. Im pretty sure dogs can tell the time too and tell you what day it is! Our granddog only comes on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and without a word of a lie, on those days our dog is up early and waiting at the door by 7.30! Daughter drops off her dog at 7.35. He's not waiting for the other dog to arrive, he just wants to meet and greet our daughter! He's very confused as to why she never comes in for cuddles any more, but it means he's ready and willing for a doorstep pat! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also how do they know who is family and okay? It must be in the smell? To a dog we must have a familial pong, even though we wash!?!

      LX

      Delete
  2. F loves hedgehogs and went all soft over your picture. As for animals telling the time - I can do it to the second - wake F up by patting her face just seconds before her alarm goes off. Humans could probably do it too if they didn't rely on clocks (or their phone) and simply 'tuned in'......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on tell us your secret? Without a timepiece I must admit I do wonder? You can tell me, I promise I won’t tell a soul...

      LX

      Delete
  3. I keep one loaf, sliced, in the freezer just in case..then you only need to take out the required slices and toast ,or zap them in the microwave. I always make two loaves..it would be a waste of fuel just to make one! They get stored wrapped in a teatowel so that they don't sweat.
    Lovely that Ellie is at ease with the Wrenery visitors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What quantities do you make at a time? I do 600g flour, maybe up it to 1000g? I will try the tea towel trick, my bread bin obviously isn’t working in this humid weather.

      LX

      LX

      Delete
    2. I make two 2 pound loaf tin loaves, with about 1kg dough in each.

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...