..

Saturday 5 September 2020

Since I was six...

I have been on a quest...
A strange thing to be on, since such a ripe old age?
I ought to explain.
We went on holiday to Le Touquet, in the hotel we stayed, my abiding memory over all these years was the glorious taste of the bread and butter served at all meals. I have Inspector Clouseau searched high and low, none higher than royal households, none lower than cheapo supermarkets and with the same degree of success you might expect from Insp. C...
abject failure!
Until now, when Lo and Behold I have got as close as I am ever going to get in one Mr Aldi emporium, yes you heard it first here folks!
Roll of drums please, with swirl of cloak and much celebration I am pleased to announce the winner of my lifelong search...


Green Meadow
Freshly churned
Welsh butter: who would have thought it?


Me and my mum: little knowing my life would be dominated by the start of a lifetimes search.  
Just the bread now to find, or maybe the flour for me to recreate...

8 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the butter in Aldi tends to be local or thereabouts so the butter in ours is Scottish, not that that's a bad thing but your lovely butter wont be available everywhere :( On the bread thing, my Italian uncle told us the best ciabata outside Italy was in Lidl. He said it was only second to the bread he bought in his village in southern Italy. Like you I always remember a delicious pastry I was given in Geneva when my aunt lived there. It was called a Delice (I think) and was a flaky pastry a bit like a croissant filled with salty butter. Oh how I'd love to find one of them again, however I think Anna over at Random Thoughts told me the bakery there were in is now closed :( Not that I'd be trooping off to Geneva for a pastry it has to be said! Funny the things that stay with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tastes and smells are so evocative of capturing the moment. I can still close my eyes and taste that holiday, all these years later.

      LX

      Delete
  2. My Mum used to buy Stork margarine (ugh! awful on bread) and lard for her baking; she made wonderful pastry, cakes and steamed puddings. But 'for best' she used 'Golden Meadow' butter, which was wrapped in paper in a rolled shape, not yer common block of butter! I've just Googled - would you believe that Golden Meadow butter was made by Aplin & Barret, later to become St Ivel - who also produce your 'Green Meadow' and both are Welsh. Oh I want some freshly baked bread, thickly spread with that lovely butter - right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margarine of any sort is the food of the devil. What a wonderful piece of detective work on your part Rambler, thanks for that. The butter is SO TASTY. I remember Golden Meadow butter in the barrel shape too, a trip down a buttery lane...

      LX

      Delete
  3. Looks good. My store carries Irish butter. I'll have to ask about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only looks good but tastes even better.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...