..

Wednesday 21 October 2020

I potter that is...

what I do. I don’t actually work!

Looking back over my life pottering is about all I have actually done.  I pottered through school having too much fun messing about to apply myself to boring stuff like rainfall in Guatemala’n’stuff.  I’ve pottered through a husband or two, one child was enough, far too much work!  Potter isn’t as far as I know a job description and the careers I cruised through you wouldn’t believe?  The last interesting ‘job’ I had as a chef was a fascinating time potter wise in the household of important people, well in their view!  That I must confess took my potter persona to a whole new level.  My reputation as a ‘That’ll do School of Cookery’ chef was a source of amusement to the rest of the staff.  My telling the man of the house where to hop off also was legion in a household where deference was very much the order of the day.  Just call me a Professor of Potter, you may forgo the curtesy.

Where that all came from I have no idea?  Probably when I spoke yesterday with the lady whose allotment I am taking over.  I offered to help her do whatever she wanted in readiness for the big hand over.

Very clearly and with quiet authority she said

‘No thank you I am a potterer, I much prefer to work alone, doing not very much...just pottering in my own way!’

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather.  A woman of my own heart to take over from.  A patch of heaven to carry on her years of work towards her Masters degree in potterage.

‘I hereby name this allotment... my Potager!’


Me in Goudhurst.

12 comments:

  1. Pottering still gets a lot done, you just don't notice it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I think, with the added frisson of really feeling that I haven’t actually done anything!

      LX

      Delete
  2. You really need a new umbrella! I hope your fellow potterer doesn't potter too long and holds up your time to potter in her place. She must be quite sad to leave methinks or she'd hand it over without a by your leave. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be sad, but I got the impression from our chat yesterday that she is happy to be handing it over to another wacky gardener. Vita Sackville West eat your heart out... jodhpurs notwithstanding obv...

      LX

      Delete
  3. (Picture)..All dressed down ready for gardening! The tattered umbrella looks like a sad old soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit like me really Moni, past it’s best...

      LX

      Delete
  4. I hope you shared your description of yourself with her.
    I would also ask her back at her leisure , to just sit and think , if nothing else. Grand of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did, what a coincidence that the next person to get an allotment was me, a woman after her own heart. And yes, I have already said you must come back and see what I am getting up to.

      LX

      Delete
  5. Unbelievable! There are two of you!
    It might be bit risky to have her visiting 'to see what you've done'. What if you've uprooted and chucked out a particular favourite of hers that she has carefully nurtured and cosseted? Oo-er!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought did cross my mind I must agree! Although seeing her planting it is completely in step with what I would have planted. Weird or wot?

      LX

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. A strange coincidence, a happy happenstance.

      LX

      Delete

This is...

  Doris... This is her offspring... Back in the days of us living in Ludlow my son and family came to stay.  They loved my bread so much I o...